Saturday, August 2, 2008

Service (With a Smile): Saturday

First off, let me share with you a service that was performed for me. My older kids get asked to babysit often and I am so appreciative of their willingness to do so. I sometimes have to assign each older child to a younger one so no one is completely ignored. Last night Allen and I went to see the late show of Prince Caspian at the dollar theater, and Coolister was assigned to tend Baby O. He took his responsibility seriously, because when we returned home, we saw this:

My oldest and my youngest. So sweet.

Today was fun. I got my hair cut in the afternoon.
If you ever wondered what I would look like with straight hair, it's your lucky day. It only happens when I go to the salon because I don't have the time or patience to do it myself. The next time you see me, it will be curly again.
The person who did the haircut is a cousin on Allen's side - someone I love to chat and laugh with. She really liked a shirt I made for our family reunion auction this summer but was not the winning bidder, so I decided to make her one since I'd be seeing her this afternoon. (service complete!)
After I got home, Cowgirl asked if I wanted to join the 7-Up Club. I asked her what I would be committing to and she said, "A water party at the beginning, a water party at the end, and sometimes we will drink 7-up." That seemed simple enough, so I signed up. After she convinced everyone else to join Allen suggested we have the first official meeting TODAY. So, Cowgirl and I went to purchase some 7-up and then the kids got their swimsuits on and ran through the sprinklers!
I think that allowing Cowgirl to act on her whimsical club was a service she much appreciated. And everyone else had some fun, too.

8 comments:

Mom not Mum said...

I want to join the 7-up club! Too cute! Love the haircut.

Chelle! said...

Your hair is absolutely darling!!! As for the 7-up, what a great idea!!! YEA!!! I loved the picture of your oldest with the youngest...how cute!!!

Teachinfourth said...

So, are the kids running through 7-Up in the photo? They seem to be liking the taste.

I like your hair straight too. It does look nice.

Gerb said...

mom (not mum)-
Consider yourself an official member. Now get your swimsuit on and run through some sprinklers!

chelle!-
Thanks! I'm keeping it straight for church today, then it's back to my old curly self.

tchn5th-
That would be quite a feat to get 7-up in the sprinklers, but one they would enjoy, I'm sure. What a happy, sticky mess that would be afterwards!

And thanks.

Rebecca said...

It's hard to believe you're such a hot mama of 9! You know, we were already feeling like losers by reading about your normal day in photos recently, and then all your service this week...but to look that good on top of it all...You're pretty much amazing.

Cami said...

I agree with Rebecca. You are one amazing woman! I, like your little Cowgirl, used to make up clubs. One of my favorite was the "Daily Ice Cream Eating Club." The only requirement for joining was that you had to agree to eat ice cream daily.

P.S. You still have to come see my new place. I'm having Sistah Blaaaaack withdrawl!

annette said...

I can see how going with your little cowgirl's idea is truly a service. It's hard to set aside what was needed to be done in the day in order to accomodate a wish. But something about those times can also be magical.

Farscaper said...

I am sooo jealous of parents who have kids old enough to babysit the younger ones. By the time our older ones are old enough to baby sit the younger ones, we won't need a babysitter. (that's not true but it feels like it)

.... date night... 4 more years .. maybe 5 before I feel I can trust the twins to be "in charge" for a couple of hours by themselves.

Your hair ROCKS!!! I use to have a professional straightner because I don't have the time for the cheapie Wally world ones. (what I'm using now because my pro one broke. The cheap ones pull my hair out and take forever to straighten). That's another reason I dug out my hot rollers Sunday. If I can't go straight... go BIG. ;-)