Thursday, August 14, 2008

CTR = Choose To Run

I try not to live vicariously through my kids. Really, I try. But when Coolister got a call from a friend who invited him to a meeting about running cross country at his high school, I couldn't help feeling excited about the possibility. I mean, cross country! That's my sport!

OK, so it was my sport over 2 decades ago. But it's a sport I understand.

Imagine my elation when he wanted to sign up. Oh, the joy! My boy wanted to be a runner! (This partially made up for the fact that he is a traitor when it comes to taking a foreign language class - he signed up for Spanish instead of ASL. Who helps him with homework? Who gives him rides? Who carried him in her womb for 9 months? But he takes Spanish classes, the language his dad speaks. Not ASL. I'm still getting over it.) {end rant}

He ran his first time trial this week. He ran 1.5 miles in 8:53:10 after training for less than 2 weeks - he's a natural!

And here's the best part: I think he realizes that I actually know more about running than he does at this point. He listens when I give him advice on the matter and that just makes me giddy.

Hey, Coolister...

Eat carbs the night before a race!

Hydrate!

Stretch!

Pace yourself!

Sprint for the finish!




Make your mom proud.
(Oh, wait - you already did that.)

6 comments:

annette said...

Yea for Coolister! I can see him as a natural.

I know what you mean abt. the language. Between my hubby and I there's Spanish, Portuguese, German, and ASL interest. So what does he take? Arabic!? Go figure!

Threeundertwo said...

We're not supposed to live vicariously through our kids? Oops.

Congratulations on having another runner in the family!

Rebecca said...

Sabes que el Espanol es la lengua de Dios?

I'm a big fan of running. It's a sport you can participate in for life...unless your knees putter out prematurely like yours and Doug's.

cari said...

Way to go Coolister! Running is something he can enjoy the rest of his life. That's one of the reasons I'm happy my boys are golfers. It's something they'll be able to as old men too.

Mom not Mum said...

I know the feeling. I sat next to my 6 year old today as she giggled reading a book and she looks over at me and says "I love reading!!"

Oh baby I love it too!

Teachinfourth said...

Congrats. Gerb. Congrats.