Thursday, July 31, 2008

Service (With a Smile): Thursday


I went to Good Earth today to buy some freshly ground peanut butter (try it - it is fun to work the machine and it tastes awesome!). The machine wasn't working, which was a bummer. However, I can always find something I need there, so I proceeded to the checkout line where a man was talking with the checker about his purchase...

Man: "I thought it would be free with the coupons, so I didn't bring any cash. Do you want me to use my debit card for the remaining amount? It will probably cost you more to process the payment than I owe on the groceries."

Then, a thought bubble appeared above my head: Service (with a smile) week! Offer to pay it for him! So, I offered, and he graciously accepted my shiny quarter. Hoo-Rah! I was able to do something nice for a stranger. That felt good.

And now, I am going to do something nice for you. I make some amazing granola (toot! toot! toot!) and you get to have my recipe. It's OK, you don't have to thank me. If you really decide to reward yourself by making this delicious (and nutritious!) stuff, most ingredients can be found at any health food store (like Good Earth if you live near me). Enjoy!

The BEST Granola

First mix the following ingredients in a large bowl:

7 cups oats
6 cups 6-grain flakes (looks like oats)
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups coconut flakes
2 cups sliced or slivered almonds
2 ½ cups (1 pound) brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Then combine the following ingredients in a separate bowl:

2/3 cup water
½ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons almond or maple flavoring
1 cup honey

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Bake at 250 degrees for an hour and a half (90 minutes), stirring every 15-20 minutes. Cool thoroughly, then add:

2 cups banana chips, broken
3 cups raisins
2 cups chopped dates in oat flour (this is the way they are sold here, you could use any kind of dates as long as you chop them up)

Makes 7 or 8 lbs. of cereal.

7 comments:

Chelle! said...

YEA!!! Like I have said many times over and over--YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Just think of how that man felt when you offer to pay for his groceries. I remember one time, a few of us were in San Francisco and we had to go through one of the toll bridges and we paid for a few cars behind us. It was great to see the smile--I just love that feeling!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Good for you! Another thing which brings smiles is leaving a tip at the drive-thru at fast food restaurants. They are usually so shocked and then flattered, it's great...I tipped a girl at DQ a few weeks ago; I thought she was going to float for the rest of the day.

Boyd and Sarise said...

Thanks Gerb for remembering the recipe!

Rebecca said...

Funny that you should "toot your horn" by sharing your granola recipe. We LOVE granola, but it causes a certain someone I love to "toot his horn", and it's not very pleasant. (Seriously, there's a definite, proven cause & effect.) How could I hide 6 pounds of cereal from that guy?

(T.M.I., I know, but I couldn't resist!)

Gina said...

You can guarantee I will this recipe. I love homemade granola. I remember my mom making this when I was little. THERE! That is a childhood memory that just popped into my head. However, it seemed that it took much longer than what you said. For some reason I remember it taking ALL DAY. Anyway...good job on the service. I appreciate it. YUMMO!

Gerb said...

chelle!-
The warm fuzzy feeling that comes from serving is pretty addicting, isn't it?

tchn5th-
I'll have to try leaving a tip at the drive-thru. I never thought of that one! It's also fun to leave candy for the tellers in the bank drive-thru.

sarise-
No problem! Have you tried making it yet?

rebecca-
Yes, that's a universal problem with granola, I think. A couple of Allen's younger brothers were having a tootin' good time after breakfast...

gina-
I think you remember it taking all day because the baking part can take quite awhile. One batch requires 2 oven-loads, so it's time consuming. But so worth it!

Farscaper said...

Cool! Thanks for the recipe. I have an AMAZING one but hubby thinks it's too sweet (he likes it but doesn't want to put on 20 pounds a week eating it). I haven't make it in several years because of this.

I make mine while doing other stuff. Put in a batch to cook while making the kid's lunch. Stir it around when lunch is over. Load the dishwasher and stir another batch... etc..