Sunday, August 3, 2008

Service (With a Smile): Sunday

It's the last day of my serving (with a smile!) week. It has been fun. And hard. And I won't ever publicly proclaim my awesomeness again, so I hope you enjoyed it. I also hope you don't all think I'm a big bragger. That was the hard part.

I'm counting a bunch of simple acts of service for today... wiping tears, holding little hands, singing quiet songs, making smallish people smile in the nursery at church. There was also breaking up fights, cleaning spilled drinks and wiping runny noses, and I'm still going back next week and the week after that and every week until someone tells me they want me to do something else. Plus I volunteered to teach a weekly sign language class at church that lost its teacher to the National Guard. Ok, toot, toot, toot and all that. Enough already!

To end this week on a thought that is right up my alley, let me tell you a story. I was driving Coolister and another scout to pick up food for their food drive this week and as the back of the vehicle began to fill with canned goods I asked, "Doesn't it make you feel great that you're doing this? A lot of people will benefit from this food you're collecting." Coolister responded, "Yeah, it's like that quote we learned at scout camp. Serving others is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see what you've done, but you're the only one with the warm feeling."

Exactly.

12 comments:

Maleen said...

For the record, I have REALLY enjoyed your service (with a smile) week. I totally did not think you were tooting your own horn. Like you said, it helped others (like me) see what I could be doing.
I think you are incredible as well, but I don't feel you are bragging. Sheesh, anyone with nine kids that stays on top of things is incredible.

p.s. I'm excited to try the granola recipe.

Teachinfourth said...

Knowing you, the pants-peeing will continue...only you'll do it more discreetly. Maybe depends?

Cami said...

I'm wondering which scout leader that little "gem" came from. Maybe my hubby is the one to thank for that one?

P.S. I miss you and ElemenoB, and Thumbelina, and All-A-Boy, and Cowgirl, and Princess, and Hubba, and Curly, and Baby O, and yes, even Coolister.

Cami said...

Okay, my hubby just admitted to teaching that one to the boys.

Chelle! said...

Serving others is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see what you've done, but you're the only one with the warm feeling."
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Shellie said...

Love that quote, and the service with a smile is a great exercise/sometimes we don't realize how much we serve ,or how much we will serve more if we are watching for the opportunities.

Gina said...

Okay, okay, okay. I will serve someone this week. Alright already.

annette said...

I have really enjoyed reading about your service week. Coolster's pic. is my fav. I bet it will be a fav. of baby o's when he grows up.

ps. Your nursery experience sounds a lot like what it's like at my home.

It's all about the "Crew" said...

Today is just another reminder why I will never regret being so bold to ask for your blog address at that baby shower.

"So many pearls of wisdom in here..."
(Can you name that movie?)

Thanks again for lightening up my day -while inspiring me at the same time.

Threeundertwo said...

Hilarious quote!

I love your service with a smile.

Mom not Mum said...

Hahahaaha that is an awesome quote - I think I'll have to share that one.

Farscaper said...

I need to issue a HUGE thank you for bringing my little "stinker" to me Sunday. I know she was one of your acts of kindness.