Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Service (With a Smile): Tuesday

I know, you're thinking I wasn't going to follow through on my promise to report to you daily this week. Well, it's not my fault, it's my computer's. So without any further ado, here is Tuesday's post:

First of all I would like to say that I am never going to do this again. Blogging about the service I perform is difficult because I prefer to do it without tooting my own horn (so to speak. I can't actually play a horn and don't own one). BUT a promise is a promise, hasty or not, so here's Tuesday's report...

I had a plan, and it did not come together. I ended up taking elemenoB to her eye appointment and then at D.I. to drop off our donation from yesterday. Of course, we went inside to hunt for treasures (and school clothes). And then we went to the grocery store and the bank. I was looking for someone I could perform some act of kindness for the whole day, but no opportunities arose. As I began to make dinner I felt panicky. It was almost 7:00 p.m. and no service! I started to justify reporting things like "I drove elemenoB to the eye doctor" and "I let the kids have an Otterpop after dinner" but I am not a cheater. In the middle of a sewing project my brain had an AHA! moment. I did do service! First of all, I found these 2 things at D.I. that I would love to display in my home, but they don't "fit". I bought them anyway and plan to give them to a friend who I think will enjoy them:
(Someone sewed this thing by hand, people! I saved it from it's wrongful imprisonment at D.I.)

And the sewing project I was working on...hello! It was for someone else. The teenagers at our church are going on a reenactment of a Pioneer Trek and are dressing the part. All of the young ladies are wearing bonnets as part of their pioneer garb. One young lady does not like girly things, but is going to dress the part of a pioneer chick because she is a good sport. And she does not sew, she plays sports and does not have time (nor desire) to make a bonnet. I happily volunteered to make her one, mostly because I am dying to see her actually wear it. Instead of the typical flowery bonnet, I gathered the supplies for a less froo-froo bonnet last night:
and set to work. Here is the final result:
And there you have it! (TOOT! TOOT! TOOT!) Let's see what opportunities I encounter today...

5 comments:

Cami said...

Said young woman will LOVE it! It turned out great. You are one amazing woman!

P.S. Comcast was supposed to show up to set up phone, TV, and internet last Thursday. They never showed. Rob called Friday, and they said they sent somone, but we weren't home. That's bull honkey! Rob was out in the driveway all day refinishing an old headboard.

So we are without phone, TV, and internet until Friday. Luckily one of our neghibors has a wireless connection that our computer can pick up. We also talked the Comcast guy to let us keep our old phone number, and they gave us a credit for the first month's service.

SCORE!

Teachinfourth said...

You trooper, you. Hey, if you're looking for service I could use a little ElemnoB help with perhaps a friend or two tomorrow. Wouldn't driving them to said service indeed be of service?

Cami, I couldn't help but think of the Gilligan's Island theme at reading your comment, "No lights, no phone, no motorcar..."

Maleen said...

I think you are wonderful for rescuing that piece from DI.
I have told people I have given stitching to, that my only stipulation is that it doesn't end up at DI.
I am impressed though, I never find cute stuff like that there.

Chelle! said...

Oh, I love reading your acts of service and kindness. It makes me want to serve more. I really do not think that you are tooting your own horn...it reminds us of the simple things that can be done for others. Gerb, you are so amazing!!! I am so blessed knowing you!!!

Gerb said...

Cami-
She said she's really going to wear it. I'll believe it when I see a picture. It's hard to imagine her in anything but a ball cap, you know?

tchn5th-
My slaves are at your disposal anytime. In fact, they enjoy doing slave labor for you. What's your secret?

maleen-
I used to do a lot of cross stitching until I found something I made (and gifted someone) at D.I. Now I've decided it's not worth all the time. I still make quilts, but only for people who I know can appreciate them.

chelle-
You are always so complimentary. You have a way of making me feel like I really am as amazing as you say. That's the service you offer others all the time. Thanks!