Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Service (With a Smile): Wednesday

Today's service was simple: carry along a bag of animal crackers to Cub Scout pack meeting.

There is almost always a fair number of kids under the age of 3 at these meetings with their families. I get to hang out with the kids in this age group at church every Sunday, so we're pretty good friends. I actually always bring a treat to share with my little pals at Pack Meetings. (It helps them remember who their favorite teacher is.) And so, today I shared some animal crackers with some of my favorite smallish people and enjoyed some grateful smiles in return.

Allen and I also brought grocery bags with us on a walk and beautified the neighborhood as we went. It was surprising how quickly our bags were filled - we would empty them in trash cans along the way then fill them again... and again... and again... you get the picture. (Not a real picture - you didn't really want to see a bunch of discarded water bottles and gum wrappers and plastic cups, did you? I didn't think so.)

Until tomorrow...

5 comments:

Threeundertwo said...

You're so smart. They probably think of you as "the animal cracker lady."

Chelle! said...

I don't think that you would have to bribe them...they all know that you are the greatest!!! We have an older gentleman in our ward that goes for a walk every morning and along his way he is picking up others discarded treasures (trash). You guys ROCK!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Hopefully you weren't picking up stray children from the neighboring yards and adding them to the waste pile...

Gerb said...

3under2-
On Sundays they also get gummy bears. I think they just know I'm a sucker for little people, but I'm good with that.

chelle!-
Sort of like how you are able to work your magic with the YW without even trying, eh?

tchn5th-
If we found any, we would have kept them. I mean, what's a few more?

annette said...

Ah ha! I suspected something at the derby- but little did I know. Every pack mtg., hu? Maybe I need some ideas on how to spice it up for the rest of you in the audience.