Sunday, January 31, 2010

Spreading Sunshine

Friday was the 9th anniversary of the day my dad died. Rather than mourning this profound loss, I chose to celebrate his life by spreading sunshine all week long. You can read more about that here.

Friday was the big finale. Dad loved ice cream so I arranged to have our local grocery store print off some coupons for free soft-serve ice cream that I could purchase and then share with others. I must admit, I was a bit disappointed in the look of these. I guess I had pictured something with a bit more pizazz than this:


So I decided to spice them up a bit.


I found a template for some pockets and got to work cutting out & gluing together little pouches to deliver my coupons in.


I added messages to the front of each one and then plastered them in unexpected places all over our city.












I have no idea who got any of these coupons or if any of them will even be used, but the simple hope that it would make someone smile to enjoy one of my dad's favorite treats was worth every effort.

20 comments:

Corine said...

WOW - Gerb... you are TOTALLY COOL! I just have to do something like that one of these days!!!!! :D

THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

Broughton said...

That is so neat!! What a great way to celebrate your dad's life!

Sarah said...

Oh, I love, love, LOVE this! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea (and good job on sprucing up the coupons!).

Rebecca said...

Just thinking about how you made "whoever's" day, made my day too!

Just SO said...

This just brought a big smile to my face. I'm sure your dad is smiling about it as well.

Anaise said...

My Sandy wishes she could have gotten one. :)

What a fun surprise around town. I really hope the recipients enjoyed them!

And I hope you are feeling joyful in your memories of your dad.

Richard & Natalie said...

Absolutely awesome, Gerb.

Rachel said...

Oh Gerb!!! It makes me want to run out and scour the town just looking for one that might not have been taken yet. What a fun thing to do! Makes me want to do something like it. You truly are a wonderful woman!! I love how you spruced them up and the beautiful message you printed on the front for each recipient. Wouldn't it be fun....to read someone's blog and find.....a post about coming across this really cool free ICECREAM gift they'd gotten/found on Friday? Way cool!

Kristin Garlick said...

What a fantastic way to celebrate your dad! You are just too much fun!

Janet said...

I love it! You're awesome!

Cara said...

That is awesome!! Way to share the love and happiness!

Mark Granlund said...

You are fabulous. As a dad, I have to tell you that it was the perfect thing to do.

Michelle said...

Fantastic! You are the queen of good ideas. Your thoughtfulness always spreads sunshine.

Gina said...

That is possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen in entire life! Love you!

Deb said...

What a WONDERFUL idea!!!!

Kacy said...

This is a very nice idea.

Teachinfourth said...

I found a quarter somebody had left behind...I keep it there to remind me.

Thanks for spreading a little more love to the world.

RYD said...

That was amazing. I wish you could have followed around one of them with a secret camera just to see the joy on someone's face. Good for you. You have inspired me.

Julie said...

You are amazing to me in so many wonderful ways, Gerb. I love this and it sets a top notch example of what we all should be doing.

Linn said...

Where do I sign up for Gerb lessons? I LOVE that you did that! What an amazing way to honor your dad. Am I a dork because that is making me teary? Love, love, love this Gerb!