Wednesday, January 6, 2010

You've Got Mail

I LOVE this cartoon from nataliedee.com

I have always loved mail. You'll notice I use the word love there, and not just like.

I'm talking about being a kid who would lay (or is it lie?) by the front door in the afternoon, waiting for the mail slot to open and letters to fall to the floor.

I'm saying I was a teenager who watched in anticipation from the balcony of our apartment for Fred, our mailman to arrive. Yes, we were on a first-name basis. He called me 'Miss Ga-berta', as in, "Miss Ga-berta, are you feelin' lucky today, young lady?" Then he'd root around in his sack and proclaim, "I have in my hand one bona-fide letter addressed to none other than you, yourself! Shall we celebrate?" And then he'd sing, "I got sunshiiiiiiiine, on a cloudy day! When it's cold outsiiiiiide, I got a letter for you today!" Man, do I miss that guy.

(side note: Fred = best mailman, ever.)

I'm telling you that when I moved 3 states away from home I planned my work schedule around the time the mail would arrive so that I could get to it before any of my roommates. Psychotic? Maybe. But the truth of it is just that...

I. Love. Mail.

Want to read more about it? I thought you'd never ask.

Please join me at Four Perspectives today. You can think of it as a letter from me to you.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I had a mailman like your Fred. I wish I remembered his name. I was quite young and then the old crotchety snippet took over and I sure as heck do not remember her name....but I can tell you my mailman's name today and the UPS man's name too! I listen for their trucks everyday. Crazy? You moving your schedule around? Absolutely not! All normal people do that.

Gerb said...

Wow. I don't think anyone's ever called me 'normal' before, Rachel. Thanks!

Autumn said...

I love your blog! I have missed it lately but I thought of you while reading a very entertaining book called "Chickens in the Headlights" by Matthew Buckley. Fun book to read aloud with kids. I read it to myself and laughed every chapter because it reminded me so much of my own family experiences growing up. Whenever I find humor in the everyday stuff I think of you. I recommend this book. Let me know what you think.

Teachinfourth said...

Fred sounds like quite the amazing mailman. I think that-at some point-everybody needs a 'Fred' in their life...

Gerb said...

Autumn- I totally read that book with my kids about a year ago. They loved it and so did I. I am still trying to get a copy of C. of C. which you recommended to me last August... I'm excited to read that one.

T5- Fred was awesome. Every kid in our apartment building knew him and he knew us all by name as well. Two things were always certain: Fred would be there... and he would sing. The world would be a better place if we had more 'Fred's.