Friday, January 8, 2010

Donut Dilemma

Many mornings I choose to forgo a shower simply because I never know what will happen with my littlest 3 munchkins when they have the house to themselves. However, this morning Little O was still in bed and Curly and Hubba seemed preoccupied with Legos so I decided to go for it. I locked the special 'Hubba lock' we installed on the door (even though he's got it all figured out) and went for the shower.

When I stepped out of the shower I almost immediately noticed something was wrong... it was too quiet. If you've ever been around toddlers then you know that silence = trouble. I called for Hubba and Curly but they would not respond. I checked the doors; all were still locked. At least that was a good sign. Then I walked into the kitchen and saw this:
Those little hooligans had gotten into the chocolate waxy donuts and EATEN EVERY ONE! I opened the box of crumb donuts... one left. Little O, who was now awake, held his chubby hand out to me, gave me a cheesy grin and said, "Me?" I can't resist my Little O, so I handed it over. I sighed. Those boxes were still at least half full! But alas, no donuts left for me. Such is life. I reminded myself that I don't really like those boxed donuts anyway and called for Curly and Hubba again. This time they came bounding up the stairs.

"What, Mom?" Hubba asked innocently, arriving first.

"What happened to my donuts?" I asked. "Did you guys eat them all?"

"Nope," he told me.

Curly came up the stairs behind him. Looking like this:

GUILTY!

"Curly, did you eat all the donuts?"

(guilty look) "Nuh-uh."

"Curly, are you telling me the truth? You didn't eat all the donuts?"

(She looks at Hubba, the ring-leader. He shakes his head no.) "Nuh-uh."

"Hubba," I ask, pointing. "What is that on Curly's mouth?"

"Chock-a-lick donuts," he answers me, confidently.

"And you're telling me that you guys didn't eat all the donuts?"

"Nope. We din-it eat them all... there's one crumb donut still. Go look in the box."

I had to turn my back so they wouldn't see me smiling over the pure genius of their devious little plan. And then Hubba had the gall to ask, "Can I have that last donut?"

I am raising rascals.

13 comments:

Denae said...

haha! Pure genius. I woke up to many scenes like this when I worked graveyards. I feel your pain!

But if its worth anything. I think you are a fantastic parent with wonderful kids.

Rebecca said...

As president, I would like to extend you a warm welcome to the Raising Rascals Club.

Rachel said...

Lil' rascals who seem to be conniving with mine!

That is too funny and I'd have done the same thing. Turned around to hide the smile.

Sigh...yes. The shower dilemma. I understand this too which is why the personel at the school all think I live in my flannel jammies all day.......because I pretty much do!

Great story! Boy can I relate. To all of it!

Richard & Natalie said...

That Hubba cracks me up and the pic of Curly is a perfect combo of guilt and innocence. Hug them extra tonight for being the rascals that they are and providing such a great story for you to tell and make me laugh.

BTW- I'm curious, did you let Hubba have the last doughnut?

Anaise said...

It's been three days since I had a shower . . . I'm really going to get one . . . TODAY!

And your "devious" children sound exactly like mine. :) Imagine what they could all do together!

Teachinfourth said...

An uninterrupted shower? And all it cost was a box or two of nasty doughnuts? Wow, it sounds like the best trade-off of all time.

Target's what I'm talkin' about...

Michelle said...

I love it!

Sarah said...

I don't know how you do it, Gerb!! And I agree about the "nasty donuts" thing. I would hold out for some of the fresh(er) ones from the store!!!

Can I join your rascal club? PLEASE?!? Maybe our rascals could play together and release some of that energy!

Mom not Mum said...

Love it! If eating food is the worst then that would be great. I'm sure you've had showers like I have had - where you come out and find them covered in red stamps - ink pad and stamper in hand. Black sharpie drawings on the table. Or my niece who emptied an entire box of laundry detergent on the living room floor and was playing in the "snow". Ah kids...

Mom not Mum said...

Love it! If eating food is the worst then that would be great. I'm sure you've had showers like I have had - where you come out and find them covered in red stamps - ink pad and stamper in hand. Black sharpie drawings on the table. Or my niece who emptied an entire box of laundry detergent on the living room floor and was playing in the "snow". Ah kids...

Lori said...

Oh, how funny and devious! I have come into the kitchen after a shower to similar scenes very frequently (but of course, my kids are much older and usually make their own breakfast--who's to blame them if they decide on donuts instead of oatmeal?)I definitely smell some Lawson here...

Gerb said...

Denae- That actually means a lot. Thank you.

Bec- Why, thank you. I'll bring refreshments to the next meeting. Was that this Friday? ;)

Rachel- I often wear my pajama pants all day and leave them on when it comes time to pick the kids up, along with a pair of my dad's old slippers. One day I couldn't find 2 of my kids and, not thinking, went into the school to look for them. I didn't realize until I got home how unkempt I looked... but the good news is that no one has ever called me about being on the PTA!

Natalie- I had already given that last donut to Little O before Hubba asked for it. Good thing, too...

Anaise- There would be good times all around, I'm sure.

T5- You bring up a great point. I think I'll stock up on those donuts for the kids... and the amazing ones for myself.

Michelle- Thanks!

Sarah- As a mother of rascals you're already a member. Welcome! And if you guys are ever in Utah for any reason you had BETTER bring those rascals (and yourselves) over for a spell!

MnM- I've saved the best stories for my personal archives. They go beyond the scope of funny and enter the realm of 'I feel like a loser of a mother'.

Lori- They must know that the cute-and-clever factor outweighs the exasperated-mother factor. Isn't it great raising rascals?

Corine said...

LOL - LOL - I LOVE THIS! :D I really do miss having "little" ones; but, I don't miss having to have a sitter, or struggling to get into and out of the shower without rushing!
Thankfully, the things they do, and the things they say MAKE IT ALL WORTH IT AND THEN SOME!!!!

We all ENJOY those cute little darlings! :D Thank you so much for sharing this great story!!!! :D