Friday, January 22, 2010

When The Wind Blows

photo from middle-fork.org

My 3-year-old woke me up at 12:30 this morning in need of a drink.

Once she was settled back in, I could not sleep for another hour because the winds outside rattled our house and I was transported back to my childhood in Iowa and the tornadoes and warnings which often accompanied such strong winds.

The incessant barking of a dog somehow brought a sense of fear and foreboding that I could not shake as I lay there in bed, listening. I knew that the only way to dispel the feeling was to prove to myself that it was self-induced.

I rolled out of bed and walked to the window. Parting the blinds, I investigated the skies. No greenish-gray clouds, no swirling storm, no pelting hail. All was well.

I tiptoed to the rooms of my children, peeking in at their sleeping bodies for assurance that they were safe. They slept soundly, oblivious to the winds which kept me awake.

I peered out the front window, watching as trash cans toppled, leaves swirled past and trees bent with each gust of wind as it forcefully blew by. Powerful, yes. But nothing to be concerned about.

There was only one thing left to do. I climbed back into the warmth of my bed, positioned my pillows the way I like best and pulled the comforter up over my ears.

Eventually my heart stopped pounding and this muted version of the storm became my friend as it lulled me back to sleep.

11 comments:

Emily said...

Looky here! I'm the first to comment on your blog! I felt the same way last night, plus our heater went out, so I felt we were in for a doozy! Luckily, the fence is still intact - no wind damage, and the heater guy is fixing the heater as we speak. However, my main reason to get on here is to give you a little "blog applause" because I really enjoy reading your thoughts and am very mesmerized by your words. I feel bad that I rarely comment. ~probably because we don't really know each other. I'm just lucky Gina has a quick link to your sight so I can enjoy your humor and outlook on the world. Keep up the good work!

Lori said...

#1--LOVE the new pic--beeeeuuuuutiful.

#2--what a wonderful description of a windy night. I was transported there with you, pacing about the secure haven of your home, foolishly uneasy just as you were. And then I wasn't, because you weren't. Great imagery.

Rebecca said...

I listened to the wind last night before falling asleep, and it was a welcome sound. Maybe I like just a little tiny bit of danger/adventure/mischief/whatever you might call it. Anything to break up the monotony of January. Then again, I've never experienced a tornado.

Richard & Natalie said...

When the wind blows like that I'm always reminded of the storm that hit here in Aug. 06 when we had just moved in. I couldn't see the neighbors house across the street because of the heavy rain being driven horizontally and we lost a 10 ft pine tree in our yard. I usually enjoy listening to the buffetings of the wind while hidden safe away in my cozy home, but not that day. I didn't feel safe at all. It really gave me a little empathy for those I know who live in tornado alley and now for you. I'm glad you were able to get back to sleep.

Gina said...

Thank you, you beautiful writer you. See you tmr!!

Corine said...

Wow - another great post about wind. I love to read your writings. I'm learning that things I would never have thought to write about, can be very interesting and entertaining; I'm so glad you write! :) Thanks! :D

Rachel said...

You can tell that I did not live in tornado land. I love the wind. Even though as Natalie said back in 06 that was quite a nasty and scary thing.

I'm awed by it actually. Even when I see it knocking over garbage cans, yanking shingles off of roofs...I sit and watch in amazement at the power that is called, wind. And I love to be out in it....

I'm weird.......

Anaise said...

Ooooh! You definitely captured the eeriness of a windy night. Tornado season will arrive here in about 2 months; the kids love getting pulled out of bed to hang out in sleeping bags in the basement while we watch the weather reports for the "all clear" signal. I, on the other hand, love it when tornado season is over!

Teachinfourth said...

The wind can be a welcome visitor, or a tormentor, can't it?

Sarise said...

Oh, you are so like me!!! After my years in OK, I have always had a love/hate relationship with storms that involve wind.

Gerb said...

Emily- You are ALWAYS welcome to comment. Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope your heater is back in full force... it's been chilly these last few days!

Lori- Thanks! I debated putting it up since it's winter but decided: it's MY blog, I can post what I want! It's a great reminder of fall.

Rebecca- Count your blessings, sista. I actually love the wind and am amazed by its power but when the world is dark I begin to wonder what else could be out there...

Natalie- That was one amazing storm, wasn't it? I freaked out and made all my kids go into a closet in the basement with water and blankets.

Gina- You are always most welcome.

Corine- Thank you! I'm glad you're back online every so often.

Rachel- It is an amazing force, that's for sure. And although it scares me at times I am still fascinated by it.

Anaise- I do remember there being a small element of fun to it as a kid. I hated the tornado drills at school, though. They always made me worry that one would really strike while I was there instead of home.

T5th- And sometimes both.

Sarise- Yes, I know just what you mean!