Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Power Of Like


"Mom, WAKE up!" Curly pleaded with me repeatedly the other morning.

She continued to speak to me in her cute little 3-year-old voice as I continued to pretend I was still asleep, hoping she would let me snooze just a bit longer.

"It is DAY so it's time to waked UP, Mom!" she tried reasoning with me.

I groaned and rolled to face her. "Why do you want me to wake up, Curly? Why can't I just sleep a bit longer?"

"P-cuz I like you, Mom," she answered. How adorable is that?!

I smiled, dragged myself out of the bed and jumped to my feet in front of her with my arms stretched high above my head. "I'm UP!" I proclaimed with an expression of joy which was nothing close to what I felt. And that is where she discovered the power in liking me.

Since then, she has used it as her reasoning for every other thing she does. "I'm following you p-cuz I like you," she told me with a smile as she shadowed me throughout the day. When it came time for dinner, she insisted on the seat beside mine. "I want to sit by Mom p-cuz I like her!" she scolded Hubba. He moved.


I wonder if this would work for me like it's been working for her?


(picture me at a Godiva Chocolatier...)

Godiva Lady: How can I help you?

Me: I'd like 5 pounds of your finest milk chocolate covered nuts, please. For free.

Godiva Lady: Huh?

Me: (smiling sweetly) P-cuz I like you.

Godiva Lady: (pushes the button under the counter to summon security)


Okay, maybe not. But it sure is cute when Curly says it.


I'm certain she's going to grow out of this stage in a blink... but for now, I'm going to enjoy it.

P-cuz it sure is nice to be liked.

12 comments:

Kimm said...

I So enjoyed that post! P-cuz I like you!

Rachel said...

Is curly three or fourish cuz I got a little someone in my house doing pretty much the same thing and....it totally works. Oh boy howdy does it ever which translates that I am ruining him even more p-cuz....I like him and therefore and spoiling him utterly rotten.

Gerb said...

Kimm- And now I feel even more liked. ;) Thanks!

Rachel- Yup, she's my 3-year-old and cute as can be. The voice, the face, the expressions she uses... yeah, she's pretty much got me wrapped around her little finger. (whatever that means!)

Anaise said...

Ohhhh, I want to kiss her!

I love stories about your kids!

Gina said...

I love your ability to take kid talk and put it in print. Remarkable.

Teachinfourth said...

Well, since all the witty remarks were already taken I'll suffice it to say that I'm really not surprised that you have an entourage.

Celebrity is as celebrity does, right?

Gerb said...

Anaise- Isn't she precious? And thanks.

Gina- It's a gift... or a curse?

T5th- Yeah, I'm pretty popular in the 3 to 5 year-old bracket.

Mom not Mum said...

Aww too cute. Glad it worked for her too. I remember when my 12 year old was bout that age and he would ask for something and if I said no he would say "BUT I SAID PLEAAAAASE!" I miss those days.

Gerb said...

MnM- Yeah, my kids use that one, too. It doesn't work for them, but it doesn't mean they don't still use it! It is a fun age.

Lori said...

Oooooh, I want one. That is so adorable. I love that 3-yr old reasoning. "It's day, so it is time to WAKED UP!" (As in, DUH!)

Maybe I'll try this "p-cuz I like you" tactic with my kids. I can see it now.

"Autumn, I need you to load the dishwasher."

"But why?"

"P-cuz I like you."

"HUH? If you liked me, you'd let me continue playing my DS."

"Nope. Like you so much, I'm going to teach you the value of good-old-fashioned work. Hop to it."

Heehee. Great post.

Gerb said...

Lori- If you ever make it this way I'd be happy to share a couple of the younger ones for a bit...

And you'll have to let me know how that goes with Autumn... my kids just look at me funny.

Farscaper said...

I love it!!!!

3's are like hot and cold here. One second she's throwing a real tizzy and the next she's the dang cutest thing I've ever seen. I just want to squish her little cheeks and smother her with kisses.

Tonight "tinkerbell" got out of bed (again) and said that she couldn't go to sleep because she took "a big huge nap earlier." "Yeah, the little one was the famous one and I took a little famous nap." (What???)

Go 3 year old logic!!!