Friday, August 28, 2009

Secrets

Hubba has been really into what he calls 'secrets' lately. Allow me to illustrate.

During dinner one night he asked, "Mom? Can I tell you a secret?"

"Sure, Hubba," I answered, leaning in close to hear what he had to say.

And then he whispered, "Get me a drink."

Yesterday I asked Hubba and Curly to please pick the Legos up off of the floor so I could vacuum.

They continued to pull the cushions off of the couch and use them as mini trampolines.

A few minutes later I asked, "Pretty please pick up the Legos?"

Hubba picked up 3 Legos, made them into a gun, pointed it at me and made shooting noises. Curly laughed. Little O looked me square in the eye and said, "NO."

Because bribing is not beneath me, I announced, "If you guys pick up all of the Legos while I finish folding the laundry, I will give you guys ice cream!"

Hubba gave me a look and said, "Wait."

What? Wait?

He leaned over to Curly and began whispering something in her ear. "What are you guys up to?" I asked.

"It's a secret," he replied, obviously annoyed. After a minute or two of this they turned to look at me in unison.

"We will pick up Legos for ice cream... and 2 cookies," Hubba stated.

"WHAT?" I responded. "You can't negotiate with me. Forget it - no ice cream OR cookies, just clean up."

Hubba rolled his eyes. More whispering ensued. Curly looked at me, looked at Hubba, then nodded.

"We gots a secret idea, mom," Hubba announced. "How 'bout YOU just clean up the Legos yourSELF and then WE will just eat ice cream?"

"Is a good se-ket, mom," Curly confirmed.

I beg to differ.

5 comments:

Anaise said...

That's going to make me smile all day!

Teachinfourth said...

So, in other words they were disinclined to acquiesce to your request?

Bummer.

Katie said...

Wow! I'd say you've got some pretty smart kids there Gerb. They ought to look into being negotiators when they're older. :)

Deb said...

I remember the first time my kids tried that! Good times! hehe

hintonrae said...

Oh, my goodness, this is hysterical. That's a great se-ket. Hubba's so clever I think he deserves the cookies and ice cream.