Friday, August 28, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love the fall. The changing colors, the crunch of leaves, the smell of the crisp morning air... and the influx of all things pumpkin at the local grocery stores. In years past I would anxiously await the arrival of the pumpkin chocolate chip cookie and devour as many as possible before they disappeared again. I searched in vain for a recipe for these morsels and ultimately decided to take matters into my own hands.

Over the years the recipe has been tweaked (too dry!) and changed (too bland!) until I finally found perfection. And now, friends, I share it with you. Get ready to enjoy some Perfect Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.

You will need:

2 cups pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
4 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Eat half a dozen (at least!) with a tall, cold glass of milk while still warm. Sweet pumpkin perfection.

14 comments:

Michael said...

I want to go to there.

Anaise said...

If I had known about your search I'd have shared my family recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies--we've been making and eating them by the fistful for 20 or 30 years! Your recipe looks delicious--I'm willing to bet that the addition of sour cream is divine--I'm going to try it soon. :)

rorymckm said...

delish! can't wait to try!

rorymckm said...

how many cookies does this recipe yield? :)

Gerb said...

For me, 3 1/2 dozen. But I make 'em BIG. I would say 5 dozen if you make heaping teaspoon kind of scoops.

Teachinfourth said...

Too much work...how about you just save me one the next time you make them?

Now THAT'S an awesome secret!

Gerb said...

Michael - They're here, waiting...

Anaise - Sour cream was one of the ingredients that started to make a difference in the recipe. I'd love to try yours, too, though! The funny thing is, I can now find all kinds of recipes for it on google. Not 14 years ago, though!

Rory - You'll have to let me know how they turn out.

T5th - Careful what you ask for...

Steph said...

Wow... I don't see any flour in this recipe. Interesting.

Steph said...

Ah...misread that recipe. Now I see it. I can't wait to try these. :)

Cara said...

Made these today! Heaven. Pumpkin choco chip heaven. Thank you!

Kacy said...

I've been making pumpkin cookies every day. I'm trying your recipe and they are just about done. . . remember I met you at Dixon with Sue?

Gerb said...

Kacy- I hope you love them like I do. And yes, I do remember. Was it Sue or Julie? Either way, whoever it was said to me, "Kacy, everyday I write the book" and I remember initially thinking, should I sing the next line? But later realized what she was talking about and was glad I didn't bust out singing. Anyhow, in retrospect, it was good to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! They taste wonderful.

The Daily Smash said...

Hi I just wanted to let you know that I am taking part of a cooking challange and I picked this recipe from your blog as my post. it will post on the 7th of this month. These were so yummy thanks for the great recipe.

Ashley
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com