Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Little Missionary

I am not sure what it is exactly that holds me back from sharing my religious views with others. Perhaps it is the idea that I may be perceived as preachy or overbearing. Maybe I am afraid of offending someone. Regardless, I have a son who has never felt any of this kind of apprehension. He has a zest for life and when it comes to sharing his faith and beliefs regarding our religion, no one is exempt.

When Allen and I returned from our trip on Sunday, All-a-Boy told us of his latest missionary experience.

On Saturday All-a-Boy was riding his bike around the neighborhood when he was greeted by two missionaries getting into their car. They asked how he was doing and then inquired if he knew of any people in our neighborhood who were not members of our church. All-a-Boy immediately responded, "Sure I do! Just follow me!" The missionaries jumped into their vehicle and slowly followed behind All-a-Boy's bike as he led them around the block to the home of our neighbors across the street, a friend that All-a-Boy has invited to church on numerous occasions - with no luck. All-a-Boy went to the door with the missionaries and knocked. When his friend S~ and her mom answered, he said, "Hey, S~! I wanted to introduce you to the missionaries."

Greetings were exchanged and small talk was made - and then S~'s mom joked, "Well, All-a-Boy, since this whole thing was your idea I'd expect you to have a story or something to share with us." So he did. He launched into a re-telling of the prophet Elijah and his "sacrifice burning contest" with the prophets of Baal. He then recounted a story of Wilford Woodruff on his mission in England and how he converted a constable who was sent to arrest him.

The visit ended with All-a-Boy sharing his testimony with S~ and her mom about what makes our church different from others and why he loves it so much. Before leaving, All-a-Boy asked if they would like to come to church with our family next Sunday. S~'s mom told him that they could probably come in two weeks.

All-a-Boy was beside himself with excitement as he shared this story with me.

I was beside myself with amazement at the conviction and determination of my boy.

I want to be more like him.

11 comments:

Anaise said...

I want to be like him, too!

Cari said...

that's awesome.

Gina said...

That is amazing! I am proud, and he is not even mine.

Kristi Wilkins said...

Awesome!

La Yen said...

Wow. Just..wow. I need to get me one of those in my family to do the work for us!

Autumn said...

What a great kid! I sure could use some of that gusto when it comes to sharing religion. Way to go! I would love to meet your family sometime.

Katie said...

Gerb, you have an amazing family. You guys have done such a good job with your kids. I remember going to babysit the oldest kids and I LOVED doing it. They were always so easy. It seems all a boy has always been like that. AMAZING!!

Matt, Erin, Kaden, & Sophia said...

That is so impressive! I hope I get an all a boy! He is truly amazing and wise beyond his years.

Anonymous said...

wow that is so amazing. I love how you give the cutest nick names for your kids. what a neat kid I bet the missionaries were impressed....Angela M

Sister Pottymouth said...

That boy is truly amazing. Way to go, All a Boy!

Teachinfourth said...

That boy always seems to make me smile.