Monday, January 14, 2008

Who Doesn't Love A Good Stake?

This weekend was Stake Conference. For those of you who are members of the LDS church, that makes sense. For others, it's a meeting where we get to meet on a larger scale than just the members of our smaller congregation. I remember when my family first became members of the LDS church and were told that Stake Conference was coming up. I thought, "Hot Dog! We all get steak?!" However, there is no meat involved and the only feasting we do is in a spiritual sense of the word.

We were privileged to have Elder Jeffrey Holland come and speak to us, and it was amazing. Those who attended the Saturday evening adults-only meeting were rewarded with a wonderful testimony of God's love for each of us, no matter what our current situation in life. Elder Holland spoke of the many trials that any one of us could be facing, and the challenges that come with those trials. We can, in a sense, feel broken. He then shared with us that God loves broken things and knows how to fix them. We only need to have faith in his love and let him heal our broken hearts and broken spirits. He reminded us that clouds must be broken to shower the earth; grain must be broken to produce bread. So when we feel like all hope is gone, like there was never a time we have been truly happy, we need to just endure & save ourselves for the days of happiness that are inevitably ahead.

My favorite quote from the Sunday meeting (besides Elder Holland's remark that, "I've seen maternity wards, but you have a Maternity Stake!" There are a lot of kids in our Stake. I am fairly certain that they outnumber the adults.) was that the gospel of Jesus Christ can be summed up in one phrase for the youth of the church - the title of a Bryan Adams song, "Everything I do, I do it for you." Leaders, parents, isn't that what it's all about?

I love talks that make you really think.

And man, do I love a great Stake.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Gerb, I agree 100%. I was not at all excited to go on Saturday night--I was tired and had worked most of the day. Plus, I was a tad bit whiney. BUT, I am so glad I attended. Elder Holland was simply amazing!!! I came home knowing that I can conquer anything I want to. My favorite part was when he said (or what that the time he yelled) "Stay in the boat!! What are you going to do doggie paddle?" It was great!!!

Gerb said...

Michelle-

Didn't you love when he said, "I could just spit!" too? He was simply amazing. I loved the pulpit-pounding.

Cari said...

My mind is still whirling with all the great things I heard this weekend! I don't think I've ever been to a better conference. EVER.

P.S. I saw you from a distance and I must say that there is no one that would ever guess you were carrying your 9th child! You look radiant!

Cami said...

I am so sad. I was sick, and was unable to attend any of Stake Conference. I didn't dare go for fear I would not make it to a toilet in time. I had to stay home within 10 feet of my beloved toilet.

And I was so looking forward to Stake Conference, too.

Rebecca said...

Wow, that sounds very exciting. I love Elder Holland, and it makes me feel special that he was visiting my "other" stake while I was listening to Elder Scott. Elder Holland published a Christmas book titled "Shepherds Why This Jubilee?" which was my new favorite this year. It's a collection of 3 essays: the first one is a long-time favorite of mine, but the third one I had never heard before, and it was amazing! If you can find it on clearance right now, buy it!

Anyway, there was definitely no fist pounding here. Elder Scott is a very gentle man, with a very soothing manner of speech. But it's great that there are so many methods of delivering inspiring messages. :)

And a steak sounds delicious, by the way.

Michelle said...

So, Gerb, I was attending my ward's New Beginnings tonight when a member of the bishopric asked me to speak in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday on what Elder Holland said to the youth of the church. How do you start a talk..."I could just SPIT!"?

Cami said...

Someone please explain the SPIT thing! Pretty please?!?

annette said...

Oh yes, it was the best stake conference ever! I was going to blog about it, but you said it better than I could have!

After Sat. night's meeting, I realized I have nothing to complain about. He talked about some seriously broken things. It also sounded like something serious might happen to someone during the meeting, and I was worried. I went home and made sure everyone was still alive.