Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Acting My Age


It all started with a simple conversation. I went to pick up my oldest son from high school. He was in the church seminary building next to the school, playing ping-pong. I walked in and told him I was waiting but he said, "Mom, come play me a quick game first." I responded,

"I would, but I would waste you and I don't want to make you look bad in front of your friends."

Some girl in the room then said, loud enough for me to hear, "That's his Mom? Did she say she'd waste him?"

That made me think. Besides the obvious age difference, we're really not so much different, my boy and I. I can still remember my freshman year in high school (none too fondly) like it was last week. I can be smart and sassy and funny and silly. I think every one of us remains a teenager at heart for the rest of our lives, yet some of us begin to act our age. Why fight what's in my heart?

I can still play a mean game of ping-pong.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

YOU ARE TOO FABULOUS!!! I really can see you saying that. You are so much fun!! I bet your little ones just love you (oh, and your big ones, too!)!!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Gerb,

Did you waste him? Not that that is what is really important...just a little slice of humble pie might have been good for him.

annette said...

Oh yeah! Go Gerb!

c jane said...

This attitude is what makes you the best of mothers.

Rebecca said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like a teenager still. It's just nice to hear of moments when you realize that, and it makes you smile rather than cringe! :)

Cami said...

I'm right there with you. I still feel like a teenager. I wonder if I will ever feel older.

annette said...

I was talking with your daughter last night, the letter of the alphabet. She said that taller than you played ping pong with you at ?parent teacher conf. and that he "went easy on you".

And now the truth is out.

Gerb said...

Michelle -
They love me most of the time, but I'll take what I can get. ;0)

teachin4th-
I'm the one who ate the humble pie. I just need a little more practice!

cjane -
What a wonderful compliment, thank you. I can't wait to see you showing all us moms up!

rebecca -
I remember seeing you riding a shopping cart to your car at Macey's once. I think that was the deciding factor that we could be great friends. =0)

Cami -
I'm thinking, no. You're too young at heart to ever feel old.

Annette -
The fact that he went easy on me makes it worse! I like to talk the talk, though.

Taller Than You said...

thanks for telling the truth about me wasting you. (you should have put it on your blog though, not just in the comments.)