Tuesday, January 8, 2008

We're All Nuts

Do you ever feel unimportant?

A friend gave me a copy of the following poem a long time ago, and I have always appreciated it. Recently, however, it was put into a whole new perspective for me. Without going into too much detail, let me say that tiny pieces of plumbing like the NUT pictured above were something that I always took for granted. Well, at least twice.

Not anymore!

Human Gadgets

We all have a place in the world it is said

And some are the leaders and some are the led.

We all are parts of a great big machine

Where wheels, great and small, work with pieces unseen.


Consider your watch; which part would you choose

As the most necessary - the springs or the screws?

The nuts or the bearings, the large cog, or small,

Which one makes it go? Which part most of all?


Take your car - could you do without wheels, without tires,

The batteries, magneto, the spark plugs, the wires?

If you’d take off the steering wheel, take off the clutch

Or remove all the brakes - would it then be worth much?


No, the greatest flywheel could not spin without grease

And it’s held in place by one small simple piece,

So don’t be dismayed when you seem in a rut,

You’re important…though you may only be a nut!


- Richard Maxwell

6 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I love this poem! I think I may add it to the list of poems the kids are to memorize during the year. Thanks for posting it.

P.S. I think most of your family are nuts, to tell you the truth. However, like your poem, that may be the most vital part.

Rebecca said...

I appreciate a meaningful bit of prose, too. Thumbs up!

P.S. I betcha that has come in handy with YW...maybe not so much with Nursery kids.

Cami said...

Who ever wrote this is very clever. I like it, and it's very true.

I think I must be a nut, too!

P.S. I think you should share the story behind the story.

Shellie said...

I love that poem, thanks!

annette said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Michelle said...

What is the story behind the "nut"? Loved the poem--I think that I might use it for camp--or something!!! Thanks for sharing!!