Friday, January 11, 2008

Somebody's Got To Do It

Motherhood.

It's a thankless job, for the most part. Despite my occasional frustrations, it is the best job I have ever had -and one that is immensely rewarding.

Take yesterday, for instance. My little Cowgirl draws like it's going out of style. She goes through a ream of paper in roughly a month. I love that she is sparking her creative genius, but hate cleaning up all of the papers that I find laying all over the house as a result. As I was leaving for a quick errand yesterday, she asked if she could have a piece of tape. I asked what she needed tape for, and it was to make a "Welcome Home" sign for me to see when I got home. Yes, that's cute and sweet, but it is the kind of thing that happens around here all of the time. So, as kindly as possible, I told her that she didn't have to make me a welcome sign since I would only be gone for a very short time, plus it would just use up more of her paper and she probably wouldn't get another ream until her birthday. She didn't make me a welcome sign. Instead, I got this little note from my Cowgirl:

At least I'm a smiling witch.

I love my job.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, now it becomes apparent why you've started wearing make-up these last few months...little did we know you were hiding all those witchy warts under there!!

Rebecca said...

That's hilarious. Hannah told me "I hate you" yesterday (you can guess where she picked that up), but she didn't draw it in a cute picture.

It's all about the "Crew" said...

Too funny! My little girl has been using tons of paper too. I was wondering just this morning what alternatives we have to markers and paper. Let me know if you come up with anything.

I'm Taller Than You said...

i love you, mom. i try to look past your looks and see the loving mother within.

Cami said...

Yes, at least you are a smiling witch. I think today I would have gotten the "Most-Rotten-Mother-of-the-year" award. But thankfully I've learned that "tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it."

Gina said...

You are cracking me up. What a hoot! They love us or hate us, but rarely are they indifferent to us. At least they are intesnse in their feelings for us. Thanks for sharing.

Teachinfourth said...

Boy, I'm glad that I'm just a teacher!

Michelle said...

Oh, the things I have not yet experienced!! Thanks for being so positive and a great example!!!

Mom not Mum said...

LOL That's too cute. The other day my 5 year old said that some mom's are mean like the devil. Then she went on to say I am like the devil. I had to ask her why she thought that and she said it is because I am bossy. LOL Seriously? I'm bossy? Well isn't that my job as a mom?

Michelle (Cousin John's Wife) said...

Hi Gerb- I found your blog address on the Christmas letter you sent Kerry and Eileen and decided to check it out.

Paige does the same thing. John has actually told Paige to limit the pictures to only two a day from the eight plus she was doing. We had a little discussion about supply and demand. The more you produce the less valuable they are. I think she got the picture. Somewhat!