Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Books I Read: Freakling


If I had written this review a year ago I would have said something along the lines of: I really enjoyed this book and so did my 11-year-old.  It's unique and adventurous and a fun read!  Which are all true.  But I'm trying to be more objective and break out of my mold of not wanting to ever say anything negative about anyone or anything, so here's what I really thought.     

Cowgirl wanted this book for Christmas.  Her 6th grade teacher was reading it to her class and she didn't like having to wait for the next installment and I'm a sucker for books so she got it.  She loved the book and gave it an 'Awesome!' rating so I decided to give it a go as well.

Initially I had a hard time getting into it.  I would read a chapter, put it down for a few days, then pick it up again when Cowgirl would excitedly ask if I'd finished it yet.  I had a hard time understanding what was going on, sort of like I had walked into the middle of a conversation.  However, once I got into it and figured out some of the lingo and what was going on, I was anxious to find out what was going to happen and couldn't put it down.

The story had a bit of The Giver style (there's a Calendar Song that I'm sure is symbolic but I stink at that stuff) and a bit of a Harry Potterish feel (not really knowing who you are or what powers you possess) and then some.  I got a kick out of the crazy old lady and was surprised by a few unexpected twists.

The main character, Taemon, is one everyone can relate to in some ways.  He has never really fit in.  He discovers that he holds some unknown powers and has to make difficult choices because of them.  His brother is a jerk.  He isn't sure who he can trust.  He wants to do what is right.  The plot takes him on an adventure of sorts that he never really wanted.  The story is interesting and even thought-provoking.         

When I reached the end of the book I was a little disappointed - it seemed kind of abrupt and a few things didn't seem to go along with the feel of the rest of the story and there was a lot left hanging.  You know how you get to the end of a book and say, "That's it?"  That was me with this book.  But then I decided there must be a sequel in the works and that resolved a lot of those issues for me.

Overall I think this is a worthwhile and interesting read.  We'll definitely check out the sequel (which I googled and sure enough, it's in the works) for more adventures with Taemon the Freakling.

1 comment:

Petersons Blog Spot said...

I love books. I could read them all day but I love my family too so I take care of them in between chapters! Sometimes I take breaks from reading though.