Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sew Talented

Thumbelina was at it again this year.  About a week before Christmas she started making gifts for as many of us as she could.  I wanted to be sure to document them because I am always amazed at her generosity, thoughtfulness and talent.  Here are her creations:


X loves cars and trains.  She invented this bag for him to carry them around in - complete with little pockets all around the interior.  Genius!

She made this adorable 'Folklore Bag' for Cowgirl.  The pattern is from a really cute book called One Yard Wonders.




These pictures don't do the bag justice.  I was kind of hoping Cowgirl wouldn't like it so I could confiscate it - but no such luck.

Boys can be tough to sew something for so she thought long and hard about what to make Hubba and then came up with this idea: Lego Leg Slippers!  She wanted them to look like the feet/legs of the Lego guys that Hubba loves to play with.
She couldn't find any pattern for boxy looking boot slippers so she altered another pattern to create these.  They're even lined with warm, fuzzy fur. 

This sweet purse she made for Princess is also from the One Yard Wonders book.  It's called the Flouncy Bag.  I like that word, flouncy.  I'm going to try to use it more.

She made ties for her brothers last year but wanted to make a wider one for her Poppy this time around.  It's his new favorite.  I think she altered this pattern a little to make it wider.  She also informed me that the best kind of interfacing for a tie is the interfacing from an old tie.  But maybe it's not called interfacing.  It's been a while since she told me.  It's the inside stuff that looks kind of weaveish.  Anyway...
(In case you're wondering, he requested that his face not be in the picture and I was in an accommodating kind of mood.)

Little O is in love with stuffed animals.  He can never have enough of them.  So this stuffed elephant Thumbelina made him was a big hit.
He thought up possible names for quite a while before finally deciding on Trunk.  Isn't that the perfect name for a pet elephant?
This pattern is also found in the One Yard Wonders book, in case you were wondering.

And I had to add this bag to the mix.  Thumbelina heard that two of her friends were going to Disney World and Universal Studios in Florida and she really wanted to make them some cute purses to bring along.  She didn't take any pictures of them, but I found the Minnie Mouse bag she made posted on one friend's Facebook page.
It is based off of this pattern with a few little additions by Thumbelina to make it more Minnie Mouseified.  The other bag was Harry Potter themed and equally awesome.  You'll have to use your imagination.  Are you imagining something really awesome lined with an upcycled Harry Potter sheet and featuring a golden snitch on the flap?  That's the bag.

UPDATE: Thumbelina's friend sent me pictures!  Here's the Harry Potter purse:

 Awesome lining, perfectly placed.

 Find the golden snitch!

I'm hoping that one of these days I will be inspired by Thumbelina to dust off my sewing machine and make a few gifts myself.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

So talented!!! I love it! I'm hoping Henny Penny will get as much use out of her sewing machine as your talented girl is!! Such awesome gifts!! Home made is always best.

P.S. Henny Penny uses her purse you guys made/gave her for her birthday every Sunday to carry all of her church stuff in. She gets compliments on it all of the time. The colors are perfect for Henny.

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Amazing! Can I come over and take sewing lessons? I get grumpy if I can't get the tension right. Maybe it's because my sewing machine is older than I am?!? Maybe I need to adjust my tension, ha ha ha.

Connie said...

I am impressed! What a talented girl! I wish I was more floucy!

Maleen said...

Holy Cow!! Is she amazing or what?? I love them all, although I really like 'Trunk'. Wow, I'm super impressed.

A Lark said...

She is super talented! She should sell her stuff online or at the Quilted Bear or something. (:

Anonymous said...

OMH! This girl could give Kristen R a run for her money.
Kathy V.