Thursday, May 17, 2012

School Shenanigans


Any time I see the elementary school's number on my caller ID, I cringe.  I worry that it's yet another call about Hubba and his crazy shenanigans.

Like the day they called because he peed on the bathroom floor, just to see if it would make it to the floor drain.

Or the time he threw his lunch on the floor so he wouldn't have to eat it and could get out to recess.

Or the day he flushed a school toilet repeatedly to try to figure out where the water refilled at ("There are no tanks with floaty balls on the school toilets!" he declared) and flooded the bathroom.

Plus, all of those other times.

So when I answered to hear the good news that Princess had earned a blue ticket for good behavior, I breathed a sigh of relief.  There are only 2 weeks until school's out, I thought.  I'll bet he can make it to the end of the year.

I should have knocked on wood.

When I went to pick the kids up, they all broke out into a buzz of news. Did you get a call from the principal, Mom?  Did Hubba tell you what he did?  I couldn't believe it when I heard about it!

I looked at Hubba, who was looking back at me sheepishly from the corner of his eye.

"Well?" was all I had to say.

He sighed a big, heavy sigh.  "Didn't you hear the message from the principal?" he asked, not wanting to retell the tale.

I checked the answering machine when I got home and learned that Hubba had some 'distracting behavior' during class and was not listening to the substitute teacher so they put him under in-school suspension for the rest of the day.  I tried to call the principal back and get a more detailed story, but he was with another parent.  So I asked Hubba for his version of what happened.

Here's his story.

The substitute teacher was a man who seemed kind of grumpy, so Hubba wanted to make him laugh.  When it was time for Centers, Hubba would yell out, "READING CENTER OVER HERE!  LISTENING CENTER OVER THERE!" and such, just to be helpful.  And whenever he got the chance, he would sneak up behind the substitute and yell, "RAH!" to make him jump a little.  And every time the substitute would say, "Hubba, STOP IT."  And Hubba would laugh his contagious laugh, then the other kids would laugh too.

One time, the substitute got kind of mad and when he said, "Hubba, STOP IT!" it scared Hubba a little.  He wasn't sure what to do, so he started to bang his head on the teacher's desk.  The substitute told him to stop it, but he kept going.  His classmates told him to stop banging his head on the desk, but he kept going.  No one knew what to do, so one of the kids picked up the classroom phone and called 9-1-1.

I stopped him here.  "He really called 9-1-1? Or he pretended to?"

"No, he really called.  The police came to the school and everything."

Oh, my goodness.  I was afraid to let him finish, but he went on:

The police showed up at the school and talked to the class about when it was okay to call 9-1-1 and when it was NOT okay.  The principal had the substitute go home and had a new one come in to the class.  And Hubba went to in-school suspension for the rest of the day.  He even ate lunch in there, and it was NOT FUN.

I was pretty much speechless at this point.  I talked to Allen about what happened and he said, "I think Hubba is destined to have a very interesting life."

We talked to him about appropriate classroom behavior and respecting adults.  I talked to his regular classroom teacher who assured me that he does not act like this for her and told me that she thinks he is a great and smart kid. (I love her, by the way.  She doesn't make nearly enough money for all that she does in that classroom each day.)  

This all happened last week. I went through a complete cycle of overwhelmed and frustrated to crying and confused to laughing hysterically and back again.  I doubted myself as a capable parent and rationalized that he is only 7.  I debated homeschooling and came up with a list of the benefits of a public education for Hubba.  I slept on it.  I talked about it.

I finally decided to write about it.  Because someday, this will not feel so frustrating.  In any situation from Hubba raising his own little precocious children and asking for advice, to when he has discovered a cure for cancer and I'm asked to speak about the secrets to raising brilliant kids, I will have this story to tell (along with many others).

And Hubba-the-adult will look at me sheepishly from the corner of his eye, and we will laugh.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

And when Hubba gets all of those awards, he will want to thank his mother. The woman who inspired him to be so great. He will call her forth in front of the world on live television and present her with a Gold Cup!!! :D One that she can display proudly on the mantel and when people stop by and ask her about it and why it has all those holes...... well...... she can tell them it is in fact, a walkie talkie!

You can imagine my side of this story when I was told that the child who called was named, JADON!!! "But not me mommy! ANOTHER Jadon"!!!

Anaise said...

Oh my! I like your boy. I think he'd like a couple of my girls--they think alike.

Blogful said...

Yeah, I am here with you on this one. I am really trying to let my kids have their own natural consequences more instead of inserting my own, like when my daughter was having a hard time listening, I decided she doesn't get to listen to anything else for 3 days except voices. TV on mute, no music, etc. But what is the natural consequence for hurting someone's feelings? How do you explain that to a 7 year old? (actually, mine is 6)

PS: There is probably some child in that classroom that really needed to learn about the right time to call 911. Good thing Hubba was able to help teach him

Katie said...

Ah the joys of parenting. Gerb my mom can totally empathize with you. Tim was always getting into trouble at school. I remember walking past his classroom everyday and it was always the same, Tim in the hallway again. He grew out of it and so will Hubba. Until then, make sure you're well stocked with hidden stashes of chocolate and new pairs of fancy colored socks. :)

Annette said...

If only Hubba could have communicated to his grumpy sub that he was just trying to lighten up the mood! Maybe a little lesson on communicating and how to be helpful to others (like subs), to cheer them up, would help Hubba? He is a wonderful kid just trying to make the world a better place.
BTW- What sub comes to school grumpy? :( Sounds like he could use some lessons himself!

Kathy V said...

Two things:
1. You are going to have so much fun telling this story over and over for the rest of your life (maybe not right away, but eventually. I promise.) It's a great story. I can tell by how hard I laughed while reading it. I've had so much fun over the years telling the story of how I locked my 4 year old in the dog run as a last resort effort to provide a time out session that he would actually participate in.
2. There is hope. When said 4 year old was about 8 or 10, I thought he was going to die from a medical condition. And I came to the conclusion that it would be for the best because I seriously doubted his ability to grow up to be a good kid. (That is a very short explanation of a very complicated set of circumstances.) BUT - said child is now an amazingly good 17 year old who brings great joy to my life. Hope. There is hope.

Chelle! said...

I love this little guy. He always seems to bring smiles and laugther to my life when I visit your home. Aw...the stories you get to share with his someday wife and family.