Friday, May 25, 2012

Random Thoughts

The best picture I have taken this month.  Also, the best money we have spent on our yard.

I have been super emotional lately.  When people tell me things like "You're such a great mom!" I want to cry because I want so badly for it to be true.  Do any moms really feel like they've got it all figured out and are churning out perfect future citizens with good attitudes who know how to care for and think for themselves?

When people write they're and you're in the wrong context I think they're doing it on purpose.  Because why would you write them with apostrophes and everything when you could write a shorter word that actually works in your sentence?

When guacamole is spicy it is completely ruined for me.  I want to taste the avocado, not destroy my taste buds.  Less is more, guacamole makers.  Say that to yourself: LESS IS MORE. 

Actually, anything spicy is ruined for me.  My mouth can't handle it and then everything tastes like jalapenos or cayenne or whathaveyou for hours afterward.


This month marks 5 years since I started blogging.  I was going to give my blog an overhaul with a new name and header and maybe even my own blog button and everything but obviously, I didn't. 

I still don't understand tweeting and why people do that AND have Facebook.  Who has the time?

I use an old Razor flip phone and I will be very, very sad the day that it dies.  I have even debated not having a cell phone anymore when my Razor leaves me.

Despite the fact that I have never had texting I inevitably have someone tell me at least once a week that they texted me something. 

I should have been born in like 1820.

I keep wanting to write a detailed post about seeing Newsies on Broadway but I just can't do it because I think people will read it and think I'm an obsessed fan.  Which I am.  I have the ridiculously overpriced t-shirt to prove it.

I would wear my Newsies t-shirt everyday if that was appropriate for a 40-year-old mother of 10. 

I was thinking about having my family dress up as Newsies for our family picture this year, including choreographed dance routines.  Except that I can't dance.  Which is the beauty of photography rather than videography for family pictures.

When I watch a movie or read a book, a year or so later I have already forgotten most of the details about the underlying plot lines and supporting characters. 

I am always amazed by people who can hear a movie or book quote and then name the character who said it and the circumstances surrounding the quote from memory.  I'm lucky to remember to pick my kids up from school.

I do not know the real-life names of actors and actresses, let alone the names of the characters they play.  I know them as, "You know that one guy in What About Bob who plays the doctor that Bob makes crazy?  Yeah, him."  or "That actor with an English accent who was in About A Boy and that one really funny movie with Julia Roberts".

I do know who Julia Roberts is because people at Venice Beach used to think I was her when I was wearing sunglasses.  

I totally do not look like Julia Roberts.  We both have naturally curly hair, which is the distinguishing feature that brings most people to think that I look like someone they know.

A lot of people think that Allen looks like Jim Carrey.  I think Allen looks like his brothers.

I hate it when stores get remodeled and I don't know where anything is.  I'm talking to YOU, Fresh Market on Center Street and Target one city over.

I wrote 2 songs in high school that I haven't thought about in years.  I used to think they would make me rich someday when I'd sell them to someone who would make them famous.  I found them the other day and I'm kind of embarrassed.

I wish I knew how to shop for clothes without thinking, "I could get 3 full outfits at the thrift store for the price of this shirt!"  But I do love my thrift stores.

Happy weekend.

9 comments:

GaeLynn said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Just a few of the things you shared here are what make us like you so much.

Keep being real. Be obsessed. Do your best. Keep us smiling.

mommeeof10 said...

We have a similar swingset. It was worth every penny we paid for it 11 years ago. A few parts had to be replaced in the last 2 years. Total of $3000 over 11 years, that's less than $25 a month. An inexpensive way to keep the kids busy, much better than cable tv for their health.

A Lark said...

What a great, succinct way for me to get to know you a little better.... I love your random thoughts!

Anaise said...

Ummm . . . you ARE a good mom. Your doubts sort of help prove that. You're quite the inspiration for me.

Richard & Natalie said...

Just some of the randomness that make you so awesome! I love your random thoughts.

Chelle! said...

Gerb, you are an amazing mom. If I were a mom, I would love to be just like you.

Petersons Blog Spot said...

I love your random thoughts!

Petersons Blog Spot said...

Also, why 1820? And would it be 1820s America or England? Pioneer or rich with servants? Just digging deeper into these random thoughts...!