Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Who Knew?

One thing I love about Christmas is getting treats from the neighbors. It is no secret that I have quite the sweet tooth and I love eating holiday sweets... except for Peeps. These disgusting lumps of marshmallow coated with sugar crystals are an Easter candy that has been exploited to fit every possible holiday.

Hey, you can like them. I'll still be your friend.

...back to the Peeps.

Last Sunday a well-intentioning neighbor brought over EIGHT! packages of Peeps Christmas trees for our family to enjoy. "They were left over from what I gave to the kids in nursery at church today," she explained. "And you have all those kids, so I knew they'd get eaten."

The thought was very... sweet. But just imagining the sugar-induced high that my kids would be experiencing made my stomach feel sickly.

The kids were already bouncing off walls. Continuous strains of "Can I have a Peep? Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Can I, Mom?" were reverberating through my ears as I deliberated a possible solution to the overabundance of Peeps.

"Let's sleep on it," I responded. "I'll have an answer in the morning."

It turns out someone else took care of the Peeps for me.

Cowgirl had lost one of her front teeth that very afternoon and set it in the usual place, on top of the microwave, in anticipation of some cold, hard cash from the tooth fairy. As we headed for bed I placed the Peeps on top of the microwave as well, in 2 stacks of 4 boxes each.

In the morning we found this note:


The speculation among the kids is now that the tooth fairy collects teeth to replace her own.

Tooth fairy, wherever you are, thank you.

12 comments:

Maleen said...

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely hilarious!!

p.s. I hate peeps too.

Cami said...

Love it! This is great. So what really happened to all those Peeps?

My Grandma used to get us Peeps every Easter, and as a kid I always hated them. Now I like them, but only if they are frozen! Try it...

~j. said...

Hahahahahahahaha!

Teachinfourth said...

Holy Hannah...I laughed so hard when I read that.

As for the Peeps, I'll keep my 'peeps' (as in friends) but those other Peeps, can go straight to the garbage. I can't stand them either.

b. said...

That is Genius!

I loathe peeps too.

Barry said...

That is very creative. I will have to remember that one. I would have to agree, Peeps are nasty little things.

Gina said...

Too funny.

Mom not Mum said...

That is awesome!

On my blog I have a link to a girl that LOVES peeps - however she uses them in making the most creative pictures - I'm still not sure if she eats them. But she does take pictures of peeps doing all sorts of things. (She is babytealeaves this is a link to one of her Peeps http://babytealeaves.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html )

Mom not Mum said...

add .html at the end of that I think

Lena the Teacher said...

Ever try microwaving Peeps? They catch on FIRE!
Funny Story!

Sister Pottymouth said...

Peeps are NAAAAASTY! Ugh.

But that was an awesome solution to the Peeps problem.

cari said...

I saw this and thought of this post.

I hope you all had a great Christmas!