Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ess Oh See Kay Ess!

I have a sock dilemma.

I love socks. LOVE them! I love putting on a new pair that still has all of its inside future-dryer-lint fuzzies intact. Yet it seems my funky high-arched feet are something of an enemy to my beloved foot coverings since they quickly get holes in the heels.

Easy, right? Just go get new socks!

Herein lies my dilemma: I am a bargain shopper. I can purchase a package packed with a plethora of plain white socks at a reasonable rate. (Don't we all love alliteration?) But white socks are so... boring.

I want variety. I want pizazz! I need stripes, polka dots, zigzags and argyle patterns in thick cotton or wool blends! (But please, no domestic or farm animals. I am 36 years old, for Pete's sake.)

Back to the bargain shopper thing: the socks I truly desire cost me as much for a pair as it would put me back for a pack of their plain white counterparts.

Check the dollar store! you are thinking. I am way ahead of you. The dollar store and I are well-acquainted. But I have yet to find a nice, thick pair of dollar store socks that make it through more than 3 wearings or one washing (whichever comes first).

Sure, I have the good fortune on occasion of finding a nice pair of fancy socks on clearance in a snazzy store. But those days are few and far between. And when they do happen, chances are one of the people I share my house with will see them and say, "Awesome socks, Mom!" and I will give them to them because, after all, I am a MOM! And as such I am constantly working for the title of "Kid's Favorite Person (for today only)!"

And so, before too long, the battle of the socks will be decided. And once again, the plain guys will win.

And it's okay.

Because someday, when I am an old lady with money to burn, you will find me in a wide variety of funky footcoverings.

Some will call me eccentric.

But you and I, we will just smile at each other knowingly and let them wonder.

8 comments:

Boyd and Sarise said...

I have to agree! White socks are so boring. My favorite: wool boot socks or those really high socks that pull up all the way to your knees. Love 'em!

Allen said...

Did you mean "eso si que es!"?

Gina said...

Mostly, I love your title. I shouldn't admit how long it took me to come up with what it said. DUH!

Mom of Three said...

I am also I lover of socks!I'm in the closet though so don't tell anyone..shh!! Your blog is inspiring, you are a fantastic person, and mother! I hope to be more like you someday. I think we all do, ha ha!

Trish said...

I just got the title...:)

Mom not Mum said...

I don't know when the last time I wore socks was - outside of every Wednesday night when I bowl. LOL I do like a nice sock as well though. I lost one of my favorite socks in a hotel laundromat last year and I'm still broken up about it. But while I like socks I HATE socks in the laundry. Folding, matching, sorting, all of it - hate socks!

cari said...

I wish I liked socks but I really don't. I don't really like shoes either. I like to go barefoot and my poor ugly feet show it!

Teachinfourth said...

Makes me remember this really cool pair of "Great Pumpkin" socks I used to have. I wore them several times throughout the year (including Christmas). Unfortunately, they were also of the 'thin' nature and didn't last very long.

I'm with you on thickness!