Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Halloween Evolution

As a child I wore this Witchiepoo costume (from H & R Pufnstuf) for as long as I can remember. Even after the brittle mask cracked and broke, I continued to wear the plastic costume. I loved being Witchiepoo.

Many years later, as a high school student, my friends and I wanted to go get some free candy on Halloween. (Isn't that all that teenagers go trick-or-treating for?) Alas, I did not have a costume, and only about $2.00 to my name. I knew most costumes were clearance priced on Halloween, so I went to the local mall to look for a bargain find.

I didn't find anything that cost even close to $2. But I did find some fart spray at Spencer's Gifts, and that got me thinking...what do people use fart spray for?? Maybe if they were a piece of poop?

My Halloween costume was decided.

I found a black trash bag (brown was not readily available) and cut out 2 leg holes, put on a black shirt, colored my face somewhat black and took a look in the mirror.

Not enough.

I drew a couple of flies, cut them out and taped them to the trash bags.

A little better.

I knew what would complete the outfit. I put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head, with more elastics in succession to achieve a tapered look up top.

Perfect!

I knew this blog would be incomplete without pictures, because who would believe me? I emailed my friend Julie, who pretty much documented my entire teenage life with her camera, and asked if she had any poop pictures.

Julie delivered (as I knew she would), and I present to you my completed look - Gerb the Poop, 1988.




I better not hear anyone saying they couldn't come up with a last-minute costume this year! I'm giving up one of my greatest ideas here.


And that, friends, is how I evolved from Witchiepoo to...well, just Poo.

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Doug says: "She obviously has a damaged inner child...as do I, myself! No wonder we're great friends!"

My sister Jennifer says: "Even as poop, she's pretty!"

And I say: "I laughed so hard reading this (a story about you that I hadn't yet heard!) that I almost pooped my pants!!!"

annette said...

Either you or my kids told me you did this. What a riot! If I remember right, you dressed up like this just so you could tell people that you were "poo" and watch them squirm- both at hearing the word and realizing that you were dressed as it. Did you buy the fart spray and use it as well? What are you going to be this year?

Mom not Mum said...

LOL That is just too much!!!!

Gina said...

So...did you periodically use the fart spray before approaching the door for candy? That would be a hoot!

Rebecca said...

Actually,Gina, that would be a "toot". (Couldn't resist!)

Anonymous said...

Holy crap Gerb!! (pun intended :))
I was just telling my kids not two weeks ago how you once dressed up as a piece of poop...now I can show them proof! Thanks for taking me back down memory lane!
-Trish

c jane said...

Gerb, your creativity knows no bounds.

~cari~ said...

Holy smokes! That's hilarious!

Julie said...

Oh my gosh! You are indeed my long lost pottymouth twin! Klay and I once joked about dressing up as a bum: head to toe pink with a black line painted down the middle. Mom didn't think it was funny.

Shellie said...

Great costume! I'm just a party pooper for Halloween as of late.

I'm tagging you! You have to share 7 random facts.

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you; Share 7 random facts about yourself; Tag 7 other blogg friends & leave a comment on their blogg with the rules.

Have fun!

Josi said...

that is seriously the funniest costume I have ever heard of.

annette said...

I read this to my dh Sat. night and he laughed so hard he had to wipe the tears from his eyes by the end. Way to go!!! You have yet another fan.

Anonymous said...

this is an awesome blog!I love the costume,it's excellent!!!!!!!!!