Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tag, I'm It

I have been "tagged" by both Shellie and Su in the last week. This means I get to share 7 random things about myself with you. I am also supposed to "tag" 7 other blogging friends, but I honestly don't know who would roll their eyes at the idea and who would be a good sport. If you want to share 7 random thoughts, leave a comment and let me know.

Random Item #1: I LOVE old pictures, like the one of my dad in his first car posted above. There is so much personality and interest in an old photograph - each has a story waiting to be told.

Random Item #2: If you knew me before the age of about 6 or 7, my name was Donna - at least when family was around. Donna is actually my middle name, but one of my grandmas told my parents that I would hate my name and blame them for it, so I was "Donna" for a good, long time.

Random Item #3: I do not like large bodies of water. They scare me because of all the unknown. Is there a piranha in there? How deep does it go? This may be due to the fact that I did not learn to swim until I was nearly 18. The funny thing is, I'm OK with the ocean - but only from the shore. I'm slowly learning to overcome this fear, though. Give me time.

Random Item #4: In high school I always told people I wanted to have 32 kids someday. 32 was my lucky number, and it seemed like a good number of kids to shoot for. My plan was to adopt 25 and have 7 with my husband. I had all of their names chosen. (Names like Brock Lee & Calli Flower - they were the twins) When I married my husband and my amazing mother-in-law had her 16th child, I realized that she will be living that dream for me once all of her kids are married.

Random Item #5: I love music. Some people love music for the music, and some people love music for the words. I love different songs for different reasons, but I especially love songs that capture emotions that are very real to me and songs that bring back memories in vivid detail. Actually, some songs I do NOT like because they bring back memories that I would prefer to leave buried in the deepest recesses of my mind.

Random Item #6: I have a hard time making real, true friends. I don't know how to explain this one really, so let me just say this: I have to know that the person is genuine. I'm not sure how else to explain it. I can't allow myself to be vulnerable with someone else unless I feel my secrets are safe with them. And once I decide you're one of these friends, you're stuck for life. Words are such a mucky mess when trying to describe things like friendship and love, aren't they?

Random Item #7: I can express myself much better in sign language than I can by speaking. The English language is frustrating at times because it does not translate the passion and depth of meaning behind words which I prefer in ASL. Because of this, I have a love for learning new words and vocabulary. The more words on my side, the better I can express what's really going on in this crazy head of mine.


I could continue, as my life can be rather random, but that's 7 items so that's where I'm stopping.

8 comments:

~cari~ said...

I'm game! (Mostly because I'm stalling and I don't want to wash my dishes.) But here goes...

Random Item #1: I have social anxiety (not really, but I'm shy). This may be surprising to some, but I dread parties and large gatherings where there are people I don't know well. The worst is my husband's work parties. I totally force myself.

Random Item #2: My nickname growing up was Cari Bear and I had a major collection of teddy bears.

Random Item #3: When I was a teenager up until I got married I wore something pink everyday.

Random Item #4: I was nominated for homecoming queen my first year of college but lost and that's totally okay with me. It was kind of embarrassing.

Random Item #5: Everyone laughs at me because they don't believe that I'm going to win the $10 million Publisher's Clearing House but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank! :)

Random Item #6: I love Gilmore Girls and it was a sad day when they cancelled it.

Random Item #7: I love Donny Osmond. Always have...always will.

Cami said...

I have a hard time making "true" friends too. I have a lot of friends, but only a few "true" friends. The kind that know way too much about me. I would consider you as one of my few "true" friends. Thanks for everything! Word. (Pound chest flash ILY sign.) G-dog.

Rebecca said...

In high school, people who knew me predicted that I would get married at 18 and have a dozen children. Well, they were only off by one year on the getting married part, but I won't have anywhere near a dozen kids! But...let's see...when one of my kids marries one of yours, then I can at least be related to someone with a dozen(or so)! ;)

Pam said...

Hmmm...

1. I don't remember ever calling you Donna, but I know my parents did for years because they couldn't spell "Gerberta."

2. I had purple hair for a while...a short while. I think you missed that phase.

3. You are (and have always been) my most favorite-est pen pal in the world. I wish I'd kept some of our letters with all the stickers and fancy writing on them. Your Christmas letters remind me of this!

4. I told my husband I'd like 4 kids and he nearly passed out. Sounds like we'll stick with one and try for another soon.

5. I didn't eat salad dressing until high school (not even ranch!).

6. Yours is the first blog I've ever read.

7. I still have A-the-younger's baby picture in my desk at home. =)

Mom not Mum said...

Great meme - I may pick it up on my blog in the next few days. 32 - that's a lot of kids. LOL I wanted 5 dh wanted 2 - we compromised with 3 as I have a thing for odd numbers.

Billings Family said...

WOW! So much I didn't know about Gerb! Donna?? How was that never mentioned? Speaking of music, you will always go down as one of my favorite voices! What is up with large bodies of water! Come on Gerb! All of those days at Redondo, and you were afraid?? I LOVE that you want 32 kids. You are the mom to do it! WRITE A BOOK! Love ya!

annette said...

That's interesting that you know that about yourself and making true friends, esp. when I think of you as the person everyone likes and I feel priviledged to know.

I can relate to the ESL thing a bit because I also speak another lang., Portuguese, and there are some things can only be described in Portuguese.

7 things, hu? I'll give it a try:

1. & 2. I too love music. I tend to have a hard time expressing how I feel or what I am thinking verbally. ( I tend to put my foot in my mouth.) I prefer writing because I can think about what I want to say and work at it until it comes out right. Music can put into words and melody exactly what I am feeling.
3. I love poetry. Same reasons as above. Plus I love the vivid imagery.
4. I have always wanted to learn sign language. It's like visual poetry to me.
5. I tend to be an open book. I try to be tactful and have gotten better over the years. I keep most of my personal struggles to myself, but besides that, what everyone sees is who I am.
6. I have always gotten along better with guys than girls. Individually I've had many good female friends, but collectively, guys are easier to me to get along with. I think it's because guys tend to be more non-judgmental and easy going.
7. The older I get, the harder it is for me to remain friendly and outgoing. It used to come naturally, but now I have to conscientiously put forth effort. Fear is setting in that wasn't there before, and I don't know why.

Gerb said...

Cari-
Thanks for playing! It was fun to learn more about you. Re: your #2, we have a "Claire Bear". And re: your #4, I would have voted for you.

Cami -
Word.

Rebecca -
I'm so glad we're on the same page with this. It's fun to pretend we're already family in the meantime.

Pam -
So great to see your comments. You have always been my absolute favorite-est cousin! And, incidentally, my 13-year-old daughter has stopped eating salad dressing because she thinks salad tastes better without it. Genetics?

MOM not mum -
3 is a good number, too. I have heard people mention 'meme's before, but never had any idea what it meant until now. Is it an abbreviation for something like, Me, Me....all about ME?

Su -
What memories we have! I actually don't get to sing much anymore, except at home with my kids. Still love it, though. And yes, all those times at Redondo I was afraid of going farther than knee-deep in the ocean. Too many stories of sharks and things. Even sand crabs freaked me out some. Pretty sad, I know.

Annette-
Apparently we're not only similar in appearance. I have the same feelings you described about music, poetry & sign language and I totally understand your #7.