Monday, August 8, 2011

Seven Is A Lucky Number

They are almost the same size!

It has been just over 7 months now since I broke my leg. Initially, the doctor told me that it would take about 6 months before I'd feel back to normal - but apparently he was just kidding. Actually, to be fair, I am doing immensely better than I was 7 months ago. I can walk. I can drive. I can carry my baby up and down stairs. I can do pretty much everything I need to in order to function. My scars are looking much less frankenstein-ish.



But so far, I still can't run farther than half a block. (And, honestly, calling it running is a bit of a stretch.)

Well, well, well. I don't like that voice in my head that tells me I can't do things. So when my friend Jenny wrote on her blog about an upcoming triathlon called TriathaMom and encouraged beginners to give it a shot, I started to think. And that darn voice in my head started to shoot me down every time. It went something like this:

Wow. A triathlon. I wonder if I could do that?

Are you kidding me? You can't run! You haven't ridden a bike in ages! And let's not even get started on the swimming part.

Yeah, I guess. But I looked into this triathlon and it said you could walk the swimming part if you had to because it's in an indoor pool. I can walk in a swimming pool, right?

Wouldn't you feel silly? I mean, walking when everyone around you is swimming? And what about the whole bike thing? You don't even own a bike!

Well, that's true. But ElemenoB does. I could borrow hers. And this triathlon is so low-key that I could just walk the bike if I had to.

Walk a bike for 12 miles? What are you, crazy?!

That does seem kind of crazy, doesn't it. But walking the 5K isn't too crazy.

If you want to just walk the whole thing, what's the point?! Why do it?

Because I like to prove to myself that I can do hard things. That's why. And I don't want to walk every event - but I could if I had to. I would just want to finish. That would be accomplishment enough for me.

So go away, voice in my head. You lose.

You see where this gets me? Now I have to do it. I can't let that negative voice in my head be right. I want to work towards something. I don't want this gimpy leg to control my life. I am going to do this thing. I'm going to run and bike and even put on a swimsuit and get in a pool. I'm going to work like crazy to whip myself into shape to the point where I can at least finish this thing.

TriathaMom? Here I come.

8 comments:

Holmes said...

You go, Girl! I love putting those inner voices to shame!

Richard & Natalie said...

Good for you for putting that inner voice in its place! You can do it, Gerb. In fact, I would love to do it with you, but since that is the weekend of our anniversary and we've been planning on doing something for months, I think that something shouldn't be a Triathamom or Richard might kill me. ;)
Good Luck! And maybe, I will see you out on the road one of these mornings...

Connie said...

Good for you! Ignore that voice! I have been wondering about your leg.

If I signed up for that Triathamom I would be walking in the pool. I'd look sillier trying to swim!

Hope you keep us posted on your training!

GaeLynn said...

I want to train with you! At least for part of it! :)

Rebecca said...

I like your spunk.

Anaise said...

I've been thinking about this post ever since I read it yesterday. I cannot understand what is driving you to do this, but I realized that I do not have to understand to wish you joy. I can cheer you on anyway! So carpe diem! Feel your bliss! Go for the gold! May your work and efforts and the event itself be a joy to you!!!!

Katie said...

Woot Woot! At the end of it you'll be so addicted you will inevitably end up wanting to do another one. You'll do great.

Teachinfourth said...

I almost didn't want to comment on this post because because there are 7 comments already and mine will make 8. But I'm breaking you above and beyond lucky numbers...

Gerb, you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for posting this. Thank you for not giving in. Thank you for not listening to that negative, little voice.

You, my friend, are awesome.