Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Own Camp Experience



Last week was another week for my two oldest girls to attend their summer Young Women's Camp up at MIA Shalom. I was able to remain involved in helping to plan the camp, including writing some fun cheers for the Adult Camp Leaders to perform at each flag ceremony. (Cheering about the inevitable clogged *biffy to the tune of 'Thriller', anyone? I love coming up with this stuff.) However, Baby X and I would not have survived without each other this time around so I remained here at home.

I was a bit melancholy as I rushed my girls out the door on Tuesday morning to board the buses that would transport them up to camp. As I stepped out the door I found a colorful bag waiting for me. I love surprises! I couldn't wait to get back home and peek inside.

Here is what I found:

A camp sweatshirt, a clipboard with each day's schedule and activities, a box of treats, a whole bunch of envelopes and a sweet note from my thoughtful friend Michelle who had put it all together for me.
Each envelope was labeled with a day and a time when I was to open it. Inside each one was a quote tag which corresponded with whatever was happening at that time. We collect these tags on keyrings each year. I was so excited that I would still have this year's tags to add to my collection!

Throughout the day on Tuesday I found myself looking at the schedule to see what was going on up at camp. By lunch time I decided that I was going to have my own camp experience! I tried to do something which corresponded with what was going on at camp right here at home each day.


I studied my scriptures during Scripture Study time. I let the kids play in the kiddie pool in our backyard during Waterfront. I watched some uplifting Mormon Messages during Golden Hours. I sang some songs with my kids during the Musical Morningside and Singing Around the Lake. The night of the Star Party I put on my camp sweatshirt and sat on my back porch to gaze at the heavens once my kids were snug in bed. I even did biffy duty daily! And throughout each day I opened my envelopes and enjoyed reading my tags.


When my girls came home on Saturday ElemenoB told me that camp was awesome - but she likes it better when I'm there. (Which of course totally made my day.) I could say the same thing about my week. It was awesome to feel the spirit of camp here in my home, but I am already looking forward to next year when I get to actually be there again.




*biffy = Bathroom In Forest For You. Or at least that's what the girls tell me.

5 comments:

Matt, Erin, Kaden, Sophia, & Jack said...

All I can say is that I'm praying that the first time I make it up to camp that you're there because just like Elle, I have a feeling it would be way better with you there too;)

Richard & Natalie said...

Sounds like you made the best of the situation. Considering my position at camp, your camp sounds completely ideal!

We still need to do lunch.... Maybe when Richard gets back from the Philippines and Ashton from Scout Camp? Deal?

Janet said...

I know how badly you missed camp, because I LOVE camp Shalom! How wonderful that you could participate at home. I was able to be there July 5-9 this year and LOVED it as usual!

Teachinfourth said...

Okay, now THAT is cool...

Isn't it great when other people do little things like that and you feel appreciated and loved?

Yeah, I thought so.

cari said...

Very cool! :)