Monday, August 15, 2011

I So Totally Rock, Dude!


Last week I started swimming lessons. This is a huge thing for me because I have never in my life learned to swim. I knew it would be embarrassing but I decided to swallow my pride and go for it. If I'm going to do the TriathaMom then I want to be as ready as I can be.

The first day of swim lessons I approached the check-in table and waited in line behind a few moms with their kids in tow. When I reached the table the lady asked if I had signed a waiver yet.

I told her I hadn't and she asked me, "What's the name?"

"Gerberta."

"Is she here with you?"

"Um... I am Gerberta."

"Oh... well, what is your child's name?"

"Well, I have a bunch of kids but none of them are taking lessons. I'm here for me. I'm signed up for adult lessons."

"Oooooooh! Okay!" *nervous laughter* "Well, you don't need to sign a waiver since you're over 18. Go ahead and go in."

"Thanks. But, ummm... how do I know where to find my teacher?" (Did I really just ask that?)

"Just ask at the table inside by the pool. They'll tell you where you need to be."

So, into the pool area I went. When I checked in at the poolside table the gal there told me, "Okay, Gerberta - your teacher is Sharon. You'll be in the Turtle class."

"I'll be what?!"

"If you just go wait under the turtle sign then your teacher will come and find you."

"I will do that. Thanks."

Seriously. Just like all of the cute little swimsuit-clad kiddos who were there for their swim lessons, I got to stand beneath a picture of a water creature and wait for my teacher. So, there I stood - next to the Nemo and Jellyfish classes of anxious 5 to 7 year olds - waiting for swim lessons to start. It was awesome.


Would you like to hear what makes swim lessons even better? When I signed up I was told that I would likely be the only student in the class, but it turns out that I have a classmate. His name is Kevin, he is from Beijing, China and he is a second year accounting student at our local university. We have some awesome conversations before and after class.

Kevin: "So, you have your own children?"
Me: "Yes, I do."
Kevin: "So, how many children do you have?"
Me: "Ten."
Kevin: *eyes like saucers, jaw on the floor* ". . . . "

He decided to sign up for swim lessons because he usually runs for exercise, but lately he is getting too sweaty. Kevin is my equal in swimming skills - which means our poor teacher has quite the task before her. I guess that's why she had an assistant helping her out after two days with Kevin and I floundering and splashing about in the lap lanes. Now we're getting some serious one-on-one.

There are quite a few things I have learned in the last week. First of all, wearing goggles makes it so much easier to swim. Seriously! When Sharon suggested goggles to me, I thought she was crazy. How in the world could wearing goggles help me swim better? But they totally do!

Also, I never would have guessed it, but I am a PRO at floating! The back float makes me laugh every time because of that feeling of complete weightlessness. The front float freaks me out because I feel like I'm playing dead.

The most important thing I have learned, though, is that I will NOT die if I swim with my face in the water. And when I need to breathe while swimming it's like barely lifting my face out of the water to deeply inhale the scent of my wet armpit. (That's what Sharon's assistant told me. I love her.)

So, one week of lessons down, one week to go, and I'm pleased to announce that the Turtle class is coming along ...swimmingly.

Give me some fin.

15 comments:

Gina said...

Girl. You continue to make me proud. Such a fun post to read.

Rebecca said...

One of my favorite posts in quite a while. Maybe I can be part of your cheering squad at the TriathaMom...?

Anonymous said...

You are awesome! I just love your positive attitude instead of focusing on being embarrassed or scared.
Go turtles!

GaeLynn said...

Dang, I could have been in the turtle class with you! I can't swim either. Maybe you can teach me after you graduate.

Amber said...

I need to learn to swim too. I didn't know there were adult classes. Sounds like good times.

Richard & Natalie said...

You. Are. My. Hero.

Seriously, dude! ;)

Anaise said...

Good for you! :)

Shannon said...

So proud of you!

Teachinfourth said...

Gerb...you are the bomb.

Seriously.

Rock it.

Sybrina said...

Just when I think your awesomeness has reached a peak... Wow!

A Lark said...

You are my hero! I think you're awesome to be doing this!

dbs said...

You do indeed rock. (But hopefully you float better than a rock.)

cabesh said...

You are awesome. I taught swimming for years and some of my very favorite students were adults-I bet Sharon and her assistant love you.

Kelly said...

What a brave little turtle you are! Hope it continues to go well.

Karen Peterson said...

I think this is completely awesome.