Tuesday, October 28, 2008

You Can Call Us The Apple Dumpling Gang

Ever since I was a smallish child I have wondered about Apple Dumplings. Why was that Disney movie called "The Apple Dumpling Gang", and why did the kids like them so much? Were they like fritters? Were they like Chicken and Dumplings - only with apples?

I'm not saying I thought about this every day between then and now. But I read a post while blog surfing where someone wrote about making apple dumplings. And I thought to myself, "I have more apples than I know what to do with. I am DONE with applesauce! I am going to make apple dumplings!"

Now, here are a few a big 'secrets' that it took me years to learn:
1. ANYONE can be an amazing cook if they are willing to make the time to do things from scratch and follow directions.
2. Pretty much anything you could ever want to make is found in the Betty Crocker Cookbook with the red and white cover. Even those things you're embarrassed to admit you don't know how to make. This book has saved my life on many occasions. Boiled eggs? Check. Mashed potatoes? Check. Toast? Figured that one out on my own, thank you very much.
3. Be flexible with recipes. If it says to keep the apples whole and you want to chop them up, do what you want!
Sprinkle cinnamon on the apples before sealing the dumplings up! Add some nutmeg to the syrup! Get crazy!
Put 2 pans in the oven at the same time if you want. I know, air circulation and all that. But I'm flexible! And it worked. Besides, what's better than one pan of dumplings? Two. I like to peek while things are cooking. Look at how puffy they are getting! And that syrup is getting all thick and bubbly and um, ...sweetupy. (You can also invent words to describe things you are cooking. It makes it more splendiful.)
Then presto! Apple Dumpling Goodness for everyone! (side note: Am I a good mom or a bad mom since we ate these instead of lunch?)
My favorite thing to do with treats I produce that turn out tasty is to share. So, these went to a neighbor:
And life was good.

13 comments:

Hi! said...

Looks Tasty.

Maleen said...

So apple dumplings are in that red and white book?? I sure hope so because those are looking mighty tasty.
I am proud you figured out toast by yourself.

Chelle! said...

Gerb, those look absolutely delicious. Call me crazy, but I did not know that there such things as Apple Dumplings.

cari said...

Oh my, those look yummy!

Kyle and Jen said...

Between these apple dumplings and your mooooving post, I'm kinda wishin we were still your neighbors! :) Next time you whip up a batch of apple dumplings, why don't you take a drive and come visit us!

Teachinfourth said...

Such a bummer that I wasn't the neighbor...

However, I do have to say that a few of your documenting photos are fantastic...I think there's definitely a photographer in there someplace!

Rebecca said...

You are a good mom. What's wrong with apples for lunch? Nothing. In fact, my kids wanted candy for breakfast the other morning (after our ward Trunk-or-Treat had supplied them with a plethora) and I couldn't think of a very good reason to say no. Can you?

Gina said...

I love the apple dumplings. I love the picture half way through baking. But, I love the label words "domestic goddess" the most!

Holmes said...

I swear I could smell them baking while I was reading your post. Mmmm...

Cami said...

You just love making me jealous, don't you!

pam said...

Mmm, those look absolutely splendiful! And I'd say they're perfect for lunch--of course, we had french toast for dinner last night, so who am I to say?!? ;o)

P.S. Halloween pics? Soon?

Panama Jones said...

I had to comment just because you tagged this with "domestic goddess." Must be pretty cool to have mad skills. But seriously, I agree that anyone can cook, and Betty Crocker and I plus a little flexibility and imagination have made some pretty good stuff on occasion. I'm not up to "domestic god" status yet but I am well beyond ramen and frozen burritos.

Shellie said...

Those.Look.Spectacularly.Delicious.