Thursday, October 16, 2008

Time For Tea

My friend Jan invited me to a tea party today. She does this for me every month - sometimes just the two of us, sometimes with others. Often we visit at her kitchen table, but if the sun is shining we enjoy each other's company on her patio.

The Tin Man and Elphaba (driving a mack truck, no less!) welcomed me as I arrived.

The decorations were perfect, as always...

down to every last detail.

These are the ladies who gathered for tea today. They are some of my favorite people in our neighborhood. Once we were ready, Jan began with a blessing on the food, which included thanks for "this scrumptious day". How can you not love someone who talks like that?

June was even so kind as to model her wrap for us when asked. Isn't she elegant? I can only hope that time treats me this kindly.

We ate beautiful food and sipped Italian Amaretto hot chocolate from 100 year old teacups.

Jan topped all that off with a 3-layer orange cake prepared in honor of Teresa's birthday.

There were many finger foods available to snack on...

and everything was served on the most exquisite dishes.

This is the woman who puts it all together.

Jan calls herself eccentric. Why do you think I love her so much?

I call Jan amazing.

She is who I want to be when I grow up.

9 comments:

Shellie said...

She seems wonderful, eccentric or not. Personally, I love eccentric people.

Maleen said...

When we are old women and you are having tea parties...think of me.

pam said...

What a delightful way to spend an afternoon! Sip some hot chocolate for me.

Rebecca said...

I am jealous.

Chelle! said...

Oh, she seems simply fabulous!!! Does she need a new a friend? You are lucky to have such a precious sweetie in your life!!!

Cami said...

And I want to be like you when I grow up. I would love to come to your tea parties.

I MISS YOU!!!

Gina said...

Cami stole my thunder. I want to be like you when I grow up too. Nothing sounds better than a group of friends allowed to be eccentric with one another. I may need to hold a tea party of my own. Thanks for sharing that sweet story.

Roman and Kara said...

Gerberta,

What a tribute to a wonderful lady. We truly do love her and are so excited you get to enjoy her tea parties. They are heaven sent.
Kara

annette said...

Sounds scrumptiously wonderful! What a great idea.

My mom, who is from England, would often host tea parties for her British friends. They were so fun!