Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Play That Funky Music

As mentioned before, I have long been a fan of music. As a child I can remember seeing people play the guitar or piano and thinking, "Cool! I want to do that someday." And then my chance came.

Band Day in the gym of my middle school!

Band Day was the day that everyone who wanted to be in band could come see what instruments were available and sign a contract to rent or buy one from various vendors. My parents asked if we wanted to go. I did!!

There were no pianos.

There were no guitars.

What to do? I was so excited to be allowed to choose an instrument that I decided to make the best of things. My parents allowed me to choose an instrument on my own, so off I went to find the perfect fit.

The violin looked pretty cool, and a lot of people were talking to the violin guy, so it must be popular. It sorta looked like a guitar... but my oldest brother had played violin for about 3 days when he was younger. He would pull it out of its case, lay the bow across the strings and saw away, all the while chanting, "Grab your partner and swing her 'round! Yeeeeeeeehaw!" Good memories, but bad times for the violin.

I kept looking.

The flute was a pretty instrument. I could see myself like the pied piper, playing beautiful melodies that attracted crowds of people ... nah.

I kept looking.

The saxophone? The xylophone? I couldn't lift the tuba...

And there he was.

A man in the corner of the gym, all alone with his instrument. No one at his table. He was looking down at the floor, maybe wondering why he had come. I knew how it felt to be alone, ignored. Having no one talk to you.

I breathed in, let out a deep sigh, and made my way to his table. He looked up at me and smiled. "So, you're interested in learning the accordion?"

And the rest is history. I was an accordion player, doomed to one instrument for the rest of my life.

My first year of college I decided to take a guitar class. I learned the chords, I practiced until my fingers were calloused, but I could not master it. I finally gave the guitar to my younger brother, who had more ability than I.

My husband bought me a piano for Christmas back when we had only 2 little ones, and I took lessons for a short time, but I could not get the hang of it. I guess in my case the saying is true - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. So I am forever doomed to only have one musical talent: the accordion. (And I use the term "talent" rather loosely...)

So, if you want someone to accompany you on the piano or play the guitar around a campfire, you'll have to ask someone else.

But if you ever feel the need for some funky polka music, give me a call.

5 comments:

Trish said...

You are forgetting your voice...that is one of your best!
For some reason I love that you play the accordian. There are so many memories of you lugging that thing around. I think Gerb without her accordian would be like a dog without a bone...okay...that one was cheesy...oh, well. :)

ablackman said...

Did our little cowgirl sketch that picture of you with your polkabox. I love the teeth.

Cami said...

She even plays birthdays! Last year we went to my hubby's work on his b-day, and sang Happy Birthday accompanied by the good ol' accordian.

Thanks, Gerb!

Gerb said...

trish -
I still love to sing, just don't have as much opportunity to do so. But thanks for reminding me!

And yes, the accordion is just part of who I am now, isn't it?

ablackman-
The teeth are my favorite part! I loved that picture the minute I saw it.

cami-
That was fun! Thanks for asking me.

Threeundertwo said...

I play the harp! Let's jam!

We could re-enact that Far Side cartoon; "Welcome to heaven here's your harp, welcome to Hell, here's your . . ." oh never mind.