Sunday, May 1, 2016

Mother, I Love You

My momma

I am back to teaching young children on Sundays. Today at church the music leader in the children's primary asked the kids to pretend they were singing to their moms as they practiced the song they will be singing for Mother's Day. So, because I do as I'm told, I did. And we sang...

Mother, I love you; mother, I do.
Father in Heaven has sent me to you. 

When I am near you, I love to hear you
Singing so softly that you love me, too.

And then I couldn't sing much more. Because I was thinking about my mom, and all she did for me as a child, and as a difficult teenager, and as a new wife, then as a new mother, and even now that I have grown children. And then I thought about how much I love my kids, which meant she loved me at least that much, too. And I remembered the time that my friend Janet and I (and maybe even my brother Chip was part of this conversation during singing time at church) decided that we would sing the words differently since our mothers are Deaf and did not sing to us with their voices. We changed the words of the last half of that verse to:

When I am near you, I love to see you
Signing so clearly that you love me, too.

I also thought about my sweet mother-in-law that I love so much, and how thankful I was that she raised the man that I am lucky to call my husband.

All of those thoughts came in a matter of about 5 seconds and I had to look at my shoes for a minute and pretend I forgot the words so I could gain some composure. Sometimes thinking of how very blessed I am can be pretty overwhelming.

But then one of the little 5-year-olds sitting in front of me told me that he loved his mom more than camels and the boy sitting next to me told me he had eaten jumping beans for breakfast so he couldn't stop bouncing on his chair and the girl on the other side of me crawled onto my lap and asked if I brought snacks.

So I was quickly brought back to the present, but thankful for the momentary change of thought.

2 comments:

Anaise said...

What a sweet way to come back to the present. :)

How blessed we are to have mothers who love us!

Jerri-Lynn Peterson said...

I remember hugging my mom for the last time and she said "Think of how much you love your children- that's how I feel about you". I don't know why I hadn't thought of it that way but it made me deepen that hug (as much as I could on her frail body).