Saturday, March 13, 2010

If You Give A Mom A Camera...

The picture would be better if Princess didn't chastise me for trying to use my flash.
("They said no flash fit-ah-gerfy, Mom!")


Last Friday was a date night for Hubba, Princess, Cowgirl and I.

We went to see a production of the children's book, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.

This was Hubba's first time to see a play so we went over the rules on our way to the theater.

1. You are not allowed to be hungry in the theater.
2. You are not allowed to be thirsty in the theater.
3. You are not allowed to ask to go to the bathroom after we are seated in the theater.

I think that, because we went over the rules, he just wanted to test me and see if I meant business. Because he asked for each of these things at least twice before the curtain came up.

In Cowgirl's words, the play was awesome. The kids were captivated by the giant mouse (even if Princess called him creepy at first) and laughed and watched as The Mouse and The Boy made a mess of The Boy's house.

As for me, it was well worth the $6 adult admission for the nice nap I ended up taking after the first 15 minutes. I think that watching those two create such a mess just made me tired for whoever got to clean up after them every night. Then, the next thing I knew... BAM! It was over.

As we were leaving we noticed that The Boy and The Mouse were posing for pictures with the audience members and we happened to be right near the front of the line. And besides, I did have my camera. Other than Hubba suddenly being scared of The Mouse it turned out well.

As we made our way to the car I asked Hubba why he wouldn't stand closer to The Mouse for the picture. He told us that he could see through The Mouse's head up close and it looked like a boy was stuck in there, which was (and I quote) 'really freaky!'

I told him that there was a simple explanation for the boy he saw inside the mouse.

Because everyone knows that if you give a mouse a cookie, eventually he'll get tired of asking for other things and just eat you.

That seemed to go over pretty well.

I love having kids.

15 comments:

laura said...

Fun date night with your kids! You are such a fun and funny mom.

(And good idea to catch a nap!)

Richard & Natalie said...

I love that early on a Saturday morning before a race nontheless, you are blogging!

I love that even freakier explanations about the freaky looking mouse go over well on them. Lol.

Teachinfourth said...

If you give a Gerb a bloGpost…

Glad you had a fun evening with the trio. Good luck now on race day!

Rebecca said...

What you missed during your nap was Hubba jumping on stage for a snack and a drink and a trip to the bathroom!

Shannon said...

The look on Hubba's face next to that mouse is classic! Good luck with your race!!

Infertility Goddess said...

at least when the child psychologist ask's you when he started being afraid of mice you have an exact date and time documented by a funny photo that will haunt him through his adult life. ;o)

musophobia.

How fun that you go on dates with your kids!

Linn said...

Ha, ha, ha, those last few lines are fabulous. Oh man, I love having kids too!

Gina said...

You're killin' me on that last thought. A boy in a giant mouse's mouth would be scary.

Rachel said...

LOL! This is perfection from start to finish. I would be totally creeped out by that mouse too. Especially a child eating mouse.

I love the way your mind works!!!

Thinking of you today!!! (As I sit in my warm house and rain is pouring down.......)

Darla Davies said...

Couldn't help but think of my dear mother who had a difficult time watching any movie or show that had lots of destruction, making messes, etc. because she was always wondering who would have to be cleaning up the mess/disaster.

Sister Pottymouth said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! You are awesome.

Anaise said...

The nap just cracks me up--and how I hope your cute boy didn't have nightmares. :)

What a great story.

mike said...

Hello,

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for
www.BlogInterviewer.com . We'd like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online at http://bloginterviewer.com/submit-an-interview

Best regards,

Mike Thomas
--
www.bloginterviewer.com

Lori said...

Ok, I was kind of hoping there'd be an update about your 5K on Sat, but that's okay. I forgive you, in light of this too sweet tale of a kid & mom date. It sounded so fun! And I love your rules--will definitely remember those for next time I take the kids to the movies or elsewhere.

PS--love the pics of the kids.

Chelle! said...

Oh my, you make me laugh!!