Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bad To The Bone

Last night was our family's eagerly anticipated trip to a local trampoline gym for family night.

We slid...
we jumped...


A grand time was had by all! Right, Thumbelina?


(ahem.) Right, Thumbelina?


That's better.

Coolister was having a great time trying to perfect his front and back flips.



It was all fun and games... until someone got hurt.

ElemenoB found me in the '4 Feet and Under, Please' trampoline yard and told me that Coolister was hurt. "How hurt?" I asked. "He has a bone sticking out of his leg," was her response.

I ran to where he was and saw that a small group had gathered around him. A lady was there, holding his foot. "I'm a nurse," she told me calmly. I caught a glimpse of his injury and knew right then that I needed to remain calm instead of allowing the freak-out that was building up inside of me to happen.

You know it's bad when things don't look as they should. When the parts of your body that you are only supposed to read about in anatomy books are right there, visible. I was amazed by how brave Coolister was. He was not crying, he was not screaming, but I could tell that he was scared.

The first thing he said to me was this:

"I am so sorry this happened, Mom."

I about lost it right there. Here was my boy, in obvious pain, trying to be brave and apologizing to me for getting hurt. "You're going to be okay," I told him. "This was an accident. You don't need to apologize. We're going to do all we can to make things better."

Allen phoned for an ambulance. We waited.

Coolister posed for pictures.


"Does it hurt?" I asked.

"A lot."

Finally the paramedics arrived. They were wonderful.


They gave him some pain medication, stabilized his leg...


and then carried him out


to a waiting ambulance.


When we arrived at the hospital, they gave him 2 wristbands to go along with the one that served as a reminder of what had happened.


Through x-rays it was determined that he had an extreme open dislocation that would require immediate surgery.


The good news was that there were no broken bones. The bad news was that it was dislocated in more than one place. The good news was that he would heal well. The bad news was that he would not be able to choose between running track or playing tennis as his spring sport this year. The good news is that he should be healed and ready for cross country next season, although the bad news is that he will remember this injury every time he runs.

The good far outweighed the bad.

Coolister is doing well today. His pain is manageable and his spirits are good. In a couple of days he will come home and continue to grow stronger.


There were many heroes in this story.

The nurse who happened to be there when we needed her. (I wish I had gotten her name! I was so inwardly stressed-beyond-belief that it didn't even occur to me to ask.)

The paramedics who treated him with such care and concern, who talked with him to keep his mind off of things yet still made sure he understood all that was happening.

Our oldest girls, ElemenoB and Thumbelina, who kept the littler kids occupied through the whole ordeal despite the fact that they must have been scared themselves.

Allen, who let me ride in the ambulance and took the other kids home before meeting up with us at the hospital even though I know he was as worried as I was.

But most of all, Coolister. He was brave beyond belief, cool and composed. He cracked jokes to help make the situation more comfortable for everyone else despite his own fears and realizations of what this injury meant for him. He was constantly thanking everyone for the smallest things when he had every right to be crying in pain.

To everyone involved, I echo his thanks (although that seems insufficient).

To Coolister, you never cease to impress me. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I am so proud to be your mom.

18 comments:

rorymckm said...

aw, poor guy! hope he feels better really soon! that's just amazing the way God put all those wonderful people there to help you all out! you are truly blessed! :)

Rachel said...

Oh. my. word! What a man! I just love those ambulance guys. Not at all like in the movies are they?

I also love how things "just happened to be in place" when trauma hits to help with the situation.

God bless and quick recoveries!

~j. said...

Woah.



Wow.

Alice said...

So sorry to hear about C's accident. Thankful that it appears that everything will turn out okay even though it will be a long road to recovery.

Linn said...

This post is seriously making me cry. What a sweet boy! I'm so sorry he had to go through that (you all had to go through it), but am so amazed by his attitude and goodness. We hope he recovers quickly!

sue-donym said...

Oh man. Ouch.

Brave Mama. and son.

Richard & Natalie said...

Ouch!
But really, I think he is smiling and giving a thumbs up because the nurse was cute! ;)
What a trooper! Him & you!
I hope it heals well and fast!

Cara said...

Poor guy! That is such a fun/bad place, my hubs rolled his ankle there. The kids still ask can we go to Jump on it? Uhh yeah right, we got out lucky! Hope your son heals fast.

Sarise said...

That's a big boo-boo! We always thought that place sounded like fun, but it's probably a good thing we never actually made it there. Glad everything is ending up okay. I'm sure it'll be a story he'll tell for many years to come.

Anaise said...

Oh boy!

This post reminds me of when my Sandy was in the hospital--people who are kind and caring and knowledgeable are sooooo important to us in moments like this.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

TrinaC said...

Wow Gerb,

I think my heart is still racing. It brings back images of Trent all over again. I'm so glad to hear he will make a full recovery. We will definitely keep him in our prayers. Love you guys.

Meredith said...

So happy to hear that the good out weighs the bad :)

Michelle said...

Wow, that's bad. I hope he is feeling better and all heals well. I also enjoyed your other post on the tender mercies of the night. ..Amazing. He really knows what and who we need and when we need them.

Sister Pottymouth said...

What an awesome x-ray! That looks wickedly gruesome. I hope he feels better soon. Good for you for remaining calm.

Do you think he can incorporate this into his Spirit Week?

Katie said...

Wow. First of all, ouch. I hope Coolister feels better soon. Second of all, do you always bring your camera everywhere? Who in their right mind would even think about snapping pictures of the injured, the paramedics and of course, one of mom and son waiting for the ambulance!! What an epic moment and you captured it. Kudos to you.

Chelle! said...

Oh my goodness!!! He is one tough guy...I would be screaming!!!

Gerb said...

Everyone-

Thanks for all of your comments, prayers and concern. He is doing much better, getting around well on crutches and plans to be the #1 cheerleader for the track team this season. We'll see how things are healing when we go for his follow-up visit at the doctor next week.

Sis. P- Funny you should ask - he DID incorporate it into spirit week. He declared his gown as perfect attire for Todd Smith Tuesday, said that his soft cast & bare foot combo made for an appropriate Weird Shoe Wednesday and he trekked out to the car for a ride home on Trekker Thursday.

Katie- Yes, I do bring my camera everywhere, as well as a notebook. You never know when a great idea or perfect photo opportunity is going to happen!

Annette said...

Okay, I finally read it for myself. I bawled anyway. Yeah. Wow. A true test of life comes when you least expect it. I am truly touched. And I so agree- Coolster is one amazing guy! :)