Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Golden Rule


Today's Sunday School lesson was all about the golden rule and making good choices. After an extensive message on doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, I gave the kids examples of situations they could be faced with and then asked what would be the right thing to do.

I asked Super C what he would do if he found a wallet full of money on the street near his house.

"Give the money to someone who needs money?" he asked.

"Well, that would be very nice for someone who needs money, but you could maybe look inside and see who it belongs to..."

"And buy them some gum?" he asked.

"Well, no..." I started to answer, but then he excitedly answered,

"Oh, I know! So the people who need money that you gaved the money to can tell them thank you!"

Close enough.

Next I asked Hubba what he would do if he was playing baseball in someone's yard and broke a neighbor's window. His response was immediate.

"Run!"

"No," I told him, "you don't run. They would probably see you running off anyway and then you'd be in even more trouble. What would be the right thing to do?"

"Hide?"

*sigh* Sometimes I wonder if I am actually teaching these kids anything.

But this much is true; they certainly know how to make me laugh.

10 comments:

Annette said...

I can't stand how cute that little Hubba is! If you ever wanna get rid of him, feel free to send him our way ;)

Teachinfourth said...

What is he thinking? Everyone knows that if you break a window, you just blame it on a younger sibling who can't yet talk...

Gerb said...

Annette- He is pretty dang cute. I think we'll keep him. And BTW- thanks for reading and commenting!

T5th- I think he was going for the 'Sunday school answers'.

Autumn said...

I love kids answers. It's only a few years away and they realize they have to be more sneaky rather than blurt out what they actually would do. I would love a copy of your Christmas card. My address is 5514 South Avalon Dr. Murray, UT 84107. I will give you the very center of the fridge with the strongest magnets, and out of reach of childrens sticky hands. This is an offer you can't refuse. Don't disappoint me :)

Anaise said...

Thanks! I needed that laugh this morning!

Farscaper said...

"Run!"

I LOVE IT!!! I love kids and their strange little minds.

Lori said...

Dude. I wondered where I misplaced Lawson Sunday morning. I looked everywhere and couldn't find him, and finally gave up....

Now I know. He was with you!

Gerb said...

Autumn- Your card is on its way. How could I resist with such a place of honor being held for me?

Anaise- Glad I could bring a little cheer into your day.

Farscaper- That's why Primary is the perfect place for me.

Lori- And he's welcome back anytime! ;) Actually, I think Lawson and I would get along perfectly. And if not, those dimples would win me over in pretty much any situation...

Shellie said...

Oh what fun responses!

Gerb said...

Shellie- Primary is THE place to be on Sundays, I tell ya.