Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Letter 2009

I finally got around to writing our family Christmas letter. I try to make it fun every year - a bit more than the typical "our family is awesome" (although, we ARE awesome, make no mistake about that!). Parts of this poem may not rhyme or fit well because I had to switch out the kids' real names for their blog names. But either way, you're all on my Christmas card list, so here you go. Enjoy! And happy holidays everyone.

p.s. If you would like an actual hard-copy of the picture and poem, I'd love to send you one. Really. All of you. Even if it's just so that you can have more Christmas photos on your fridge than your roommate or neighbor. I'm all about competition. Just tell me so in the comments or send me an email at gerbdonna at gmail dot com.

This year was exciting, fantastic and fun!

Let me tell you some of the great things we have done.

Allen & Coolister came back, all ranting and raving

From scout trips with rafting and camping and caving,

And biking and hiking and canyoneering, too.

There is nothing that these two scouters can’t do!

The oldest 3 kids are involved in all sorts

Of reading and writing and singing and sports.

Cross country was great for Coolister(16) and ElemenoB(15)

And basketball’s in the equation as well.

Thumbelina’s(13) in “Annie” and an all-girl choir,

All-a-Boy’s(10) a Webelo who loves a good fire,

He, Thumbelina and Cowgirl are writers of prose

They always impress us with what they compose.

Cowgirl(8) was baptized because she turned 8,

She, All-a-Boy and Princess think choir is great!

Princess(6) loves the first grade and lunchtime at school

She always says ‘awesome’, thinks reading is cool.

Hubba(5) loves trains, dirt and video games,

(And he thinks that Hubba is really his name).

Curly(3) enjoys singing and drawing with colors.

She loves to drink milk and play with her brothers.

Can you believe our happy Little O turned one?

He thinks that destroying and biting are fun.

But we’re always a sucker for when he will come

And snuggle up to us while sucking his thumb.

Allen’s year (in numbers) has been mighty fine.

He’s been alive for 40 and at his current job for 9.

Want to know what’s happening with me; Gerb, the mom?

Go visit gerbsrandomthoughts.blogspot.com.

For you in our lives, we count ourselves blessed.

We wish you all peace, love and much happiness!

14 comments:

Kara said...

What a fun Christmas card!
If you really don't mind I would love a hard copy (You can just send it with the kids to piano next week). I think my kids would love to read this and putting it on our door where we hang Christmas cards is more convenient.

Broughton said...

WOW! You are awesome!! Mine just says "Merry Chistmas" Haha Yours is much more entertaining!

Richard & Natalie said...

Very cute and clever. I just picked ours up from Costco and now they don't seem so neat. Oh well, they will do. Perhaps next year I will be as clever as you.
Merry Christmas to you too, Gerb.

Cami said...

Want to write mine?

Holmes said...

You know I want one...

Gerb said...

Kara- I'll send it over with the kids.

Erica- Thanks! It's fun to come up with something original every year.

Natalie- Did you purposely rhyme your words in there? Nice!

Cami- Sure! Ready?

Our family had a great 2009.
Check out our picture - we're all mighty fine!
K started school, she is such a smarty.
With her around every day's like a party.
A & K went fishing with dad.
They got sunburned but a great time was had.
A is funny, a sweet little girl.
Put a tutu on her & watch her spin & twirl!
Rob is back with the scout-boys again
He loves their adventures and looks nice and tan.
Cami stays busy at home being mom
But she's not complaining - this job is the bomb!
We hope that you'll read through this poem again
And have a great year in 2010!

Holmes- It's already stamped and ready to be mailed. You had no choice, you were getting one anyway. ;)

Gina said...

I love it. Where do you find the time?

Sarah said...

GOSH!! It feels like every time I come to your blog, I find another great idea, I'm glad I haven't written my letter yet - I'll see if I can get it to rhyme....

Gerb said...

Gina- I have no time so I make time. If that even makes sense. I think I need to go to bed.

Sarah- I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Anaise said...

Because I love taping Christmas cards and letters to my front door, and more and more cards are being transmitted via computer, I've begun printing off the electronic ones--no need to use a stamp for me. :)

Merry Christmas! Your poem is a delight.

Deb said...

Very creative poem...I loved it!

Lori said...

I love your clever card and lovable family (especially the "Hubba really thinks that's his name"). I would love an actual card--just because then I'd feel even more like we're just long-distance pals, and not only blogger buddies, you know? I'll send you mine if you send me yours. :) I'll email my address.

Denae said...

Gerb you are all too cute for words. I love your blog and seeing all the fun that ensues!

Merry Christmas.

Susie-Q said...

Merry Christmas!! We miss you guys!