Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Just Chip

Can I introduce you to my brother, Chip? He has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. Sure, we've had our differences at times, but he has always been there for me and I adore him. We were born only 19 months apart and were practically inseparable for most of our early lives. We spent all kinds of time together with our good friend, T.V., and can both still sing most any commercial from the 70's-early 80's as a result of it. Romper Room, Sesame Street, Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact and Land of the Lost (does this picture bring back memories?) were among our preschool teachers. (Sleestacks still freak me out, and I hold a massive grudge against that dumb lady from Romper Room who could never see us in her "magic mirror" despite our bribing her by waving mom's homemade cookies in front of the television.)
(Mom tried to get a picture of us playing with Dad, but one of our favorite commercials came on...)

It was nice to know that, as we went through our awkward stages where our permanent teeth were coming in & Mom made all our clothes, we had each other. (Thank you, Chip, for telling people I was NOT a boy despite my "Dorothy Hamill" haircut.) We endured some interesting things together, which are themselves stories for another time. As a teenager in high school, when I had issues with low self-esteem, Chip was there to make me feel loved and included - and to cheer me on. And I forgive him now for not letting any of his friends (or the guys on the wrestling team...or the surfer boys) ask me out, although at the time it was maddening! Actually, not only do I forgive him, I am grateful. I hope my boys look out for their sisters like that.

I was known as "Chip's sister" from about 5th grade to the present day, a title which I am proud to hold.

But I still like to embarrass him sometimes...Sorry, Chip. I couldn't resist.

9 comments:

Gina said...

I love you. I love Chip. What great pictures. I can only hope my kids take care of each other the same way.

Trish said...

It's really cool to see how the two of you have evolved. I hope my It's really cool to see how the two of you have evolved. I hope my older two especially will have that same bond when they are grown with families of their own. I think it is beyond awesome!
I remember the days of "chip's sister" well...I think I was the only one of your friends that never had a crush on him, not b/c he wasn't cute...he was just so much shorter than me, darn it!!
Thanks for the walk down memory lane Gerb, awesome!!

Cami said...

I love it! I always wished I had an older brother to protect me from "those" kind of boys.

Trust me, I'm sure your boys will look out for their sisters. I bet they already do!

Anonymous said...

I laughed, I cried... Thanks for the flashback! By the way, I am Gerb's "younger but bigger" brother. I've out weighed Gerb since the 5th grade. You could possibly make an exception during my 105 weight class days (not pictured). I would beg Gerb to drink a grape soda (or any other forbidden treat)and tell me how good it tasted. I was on a wrestler's diet that would starve a hummingbird. Gerb was gracious enough to let my taste buds live vicariously through hers. And you all know how descriptive (and sometimes sadistically demented) Gerb can be.
Sure, we had our bad times. However, I can't remember anything too serious that couldn't be resolved by one of Gerb's uncanny (and un-flattering yet endearing) impressions. I would nearly pee my pants from laughter and forget about the whole thing.
When it was really really bad and I wanted to kill her, (probably less than a handful of times and I only remember hitting her once... I was 3, give me a break) my favorite form of torture was holding her down, and making her eat her own boogers.

Cousin Pam said...

Man, I miss you guys! Those are great pictures.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you remember me, but I was friends with Chip, and always liked you. Rena Blanco, now Curtis. This post really took me back. Glad to know that you and Chip are doing well, and you have a beautiful family. I saw your blog from the www.westhigh.com member list. I'm there, too.

Teachinfourth said...

It's good to know that you have family which loves you (and vice-versa). It makes a difference when you have to keep on living your life and friends come and go.

Gerb said...

gina-
We love you, too!

trish-
Were ANY guys taller than you? Or even close?

cami-
You're right, they do look out for their sisters, but in a mean sort of way...

Chip-
Glad you enjoyed it. I can still taste those boogers, you sick freak.

pam-
We miss you, too! Maybe you should start your own blog so we can all vicariously stay in touch...

rena-
Welcome, and so good to hear from you! Your name is one I haven't heard in a LONG time!

teachin4th-
yep. Amen!

Shellie said...

I hated that romper room lady too. How rude she never saw me! Loved all the pictures!