Friday, April 4, 2008

Be Grateful

One of the many wonderful gifts I was spoiled with for my birthday was this cute journal made by my friend, Michelle. (Thanks, Michelle!) Because it says "GRATITUDE" on the front, I decided to use it for just that - to record the things I am grateful for each day. It reminded me of a journal of sorts which I faithfully wrote in back in 1991. I called it my Happy Book, and inside recorded things that made me happy, basically the same idea. The great thing about doing something like this is that each day it becomes easier to find something to be thankful for. I found my "Happy Book" and was reading through it this morning. Here are a few excerpts:

  • Hearing a song that brings back good memories
  • Seeing an old friend
  • Sending away packages filled with fun, unexpected surprises
  • Photo booths in restaurants
  • Oversized Levi's from Aardvark's by the beach
  • 7-up in glasses with little red straws
  • Learning something new everyday
  • Being spontaneous
  • Yard sales
  • Finding a parking spot right where I wanted one
  • Learning to do oil changes
  • A brand new roll of film in my camera
  • Finding a quarter on the way home
  • Trying to sign perhydrocyclopentanophenathrene without laughing
  • Puddles to play in
  • Holding hands
  • Finding a happy note on my bed
  • Knowing Heavenly Father always understands
  • Coincidences
  • Chocolate chocolate chip muffins and Peach Clearly Canadians
  • The song "Unexpected Song"
  • Apple slices with peanut butter
  • Nature & waterfalls
  • When it's raining leaves
  • Mom's popcorn tradition
  • Red tide
  • Chocolate chip cookies for room and board
  • Being asked to sing
  • Little birds
  • Happy tears
  • Sweater weather
These lines from the song "Thankful" by Josh Groban sum it up pretty well...

Some days we forget
To look around us
Some days we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be.
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.

What things are you grateful for? What makes YOU happy? Make some time for those things in your life - I know you won't regret it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure those jeans came from Aardvark's?

-Gerb's bro

cari said...

That's one of my favorite songs. I love it!

Gerb said...

Chip-
Those jeans were in addition to the pair I stole from you.

Cari-
Aren't the lyrics beautiful? I still love that song.

Rebecca said...

I can't even read that word--what in the world does it mean? I'm guessing it has something to do with a big watery eye...?

Trish said...

Amen!!

HiTekEngineer said...

I love Groban singing Thankful. If you go to the songwriter's site (Carol Bayer Sager) she used to have a link to a great slideshow set to that song. There's so much to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

Which pair? From my bottom drawer or my suitcase? You're welcome to steal my jeans anytime. How ironic, now I'm the one who has gene envy.

-Gerb's bro

~j. said...

I love that you wrote in a Happy Book. And I think it's interesting to go back and review to see if those things still make us happy. Clearly Canadian? I haven't had one of those (or thought of them) in ages. Wow.

Teachinfourth said...

The desert does that for me. Seeing the sun setting and casting it's last rays on the amber and magenta sandstone cliffs...

...now that is happiness!