Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Always Remember...


During my last pregnancy I was so sleep deprived that I had all kinds of skewed thoughts. The main one being that I might die during childbirth. Because of my sleepless nights, I would sit up at the computer and work on composing letters to my husband and each of my children, hoping to convey to them how much I loved them and was grateful for them in my life. I only made it through 3 letters but it's OK because, as you well know, I did not die in childbirth. But the start of those letters was a good thing for me. I have read them over often to remind myself of all the blessings my family brings into my life.

After reading the letters again I was thinking today - what is one thing I would want my kids to learn from me and apply to the rest of their lives? I think this quote sums it up well. It was originally by Maryanne Williamson, but is often attributed to Nelson Mandela, who used it in his inaugural speech in 1994:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

I think that sums it up quite nicely.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

That is one of my all time favorite quotes!!! You are simply amazing and I am so glad that I know you!!! You have been a great blessing in the lives of your family!!!

Teachinfourth said...

I'm glad you've hung on...now, just one more time!

The idea of writing letters to your family is a good one. I wrote myself a letter about four or five years ago which I only just read. It amazed me just how good of advice I had to give to myself.

I can only imagine that yours was even better...

Trish said...

I love it Gerb. Great quote indeed!