Monday, September 2, 2013

What Mom's Thinking


There was some serious weeping and wailing going on around here last week.  And no matter what I had to say, I was adding to the misery.  I was not allowed to voice any opinions or share any thoughts on how to deal with the situation because that only magnified the pity party and besides, I didn't understand!  These kind of situations frustrate me times infinity, especially when I feel like I have some genuine solutions to offer but the child in despair can not hear what I am saying because they can't see or hear beyond their own overwhelming thoughts and emotions.

Once it was obvious that my child was not listening to me and did not want to hear me speak, I put myself in time-out so I could think things through before saying things I would later regret.  I tried to look at things from my child's perspective.  I personally knew how frustrating the situation was because I had, in fact, gone through it myself quite a few times when I was a teenager.  I tried to think of a way to communicate some thoughts with this child without actually having to witness the inevitable eyerolls.  Nothing came to mind.

I went to search the internet for quotes about choosing to be happy despite whatever situation you may be faced with, thinking I could just put some quotes in this particular child's lunch, tuck them into textbooks and hide a few in the various pockets of a backpack.  I found a bunch of quotes that I loved and started cut and pasting them onto a document that I could print off.  As I was watching them print I had another idea come to mind.  Why not make a What Mom's Thinking spot in our house?  A sort of Here's What I Would Say If You Would Listen kind of idea.  The idea started to grow into something I had to do.  This would be a great way to share my silent thoughts with anyone who chose to read them rather than targeting a specific child.

I found some clothespins and attached the quotes to a long piece of ribbon with them.  I hung the ribbon from an empty curtain rod in our dining room and didn't say a thing about it.  I didn't tell anyone to go look at it.  I didn't tell the child who needed to read the quotes more than anyone to stop moping and go read them.  I just left them hanging there and eventually curiosity got the best of everyone and they all went and checked it out.

I am no longer an insensitive, non-understanding nag.  I am simply someone who wanted to have a little place to post some quotes that I like.  And even if the kids never read them I think it will make me feel a little better knowing that they're out there.  Kind of like blogging - it always makes me feel better to put my thoughts out on the internet knowing that someone might read them and understand.

Here are the quotes that I found about choosing to be happy instead of miserable when things don't go the way you would have liked.  I can't give anyone credit for making the quotes cute because I didn't keep track of where I found them - but none of them were made cute by me.  Just so you know.  I'm sure the guilt will get to me and eventually I'll find time to look them all up again so I can give credit where its due.  But until then, here they are:













Choose to be happy, friends!  It makes life a lot easier.

I can totally see you rolling your eyes at me.  Stop it.

13 comments:

Mindy said...

Gerb,
I love this idea. :)
(And, just so you know, the quotes made a difference to me... even if I wasn't the originally intended audience. :) )

Sarah said...

Love love love love love love love LOVE this!!! Thank you so very much. My favorite one is "You are not what happened to you. You are what you choose to be". Oh my word. I could share that one a zillion times!

cari said...

You're a genius and are totally awesome!

Caia's Sammies said...

Love it, Gerb! My girls are a bit young for it, but I hope I remember it in a few years:)

Anaise said...

This is great.

Rachel said...

I'm rolling my eyes at you because once again!!!! You are just the coolest mom ever and you are making the rest of us look bad!

That said, I'm totally stealing this idea.

You rock Gerb!

Linn said...

LOVE this idea!

Blogful said...

brilliant!

Betsy Hale said...

What a great idea...especially at a time when we as a family can use some happiness! Thanks for the fresh perspective!

Richard & Natalie said...

Fabulous idea, Gerb. I love quotes and have whole book of some I have collected, this would be a great way to share them. Thanks for being so brilliant.

Pam Farley said...

LOVE this! I'm going to save it to use in a couple of years.

girlsmama said...

I love the whole darn concept!! Good thinking mom.

Petersons said...

I have to agree with everyone. This is the best idea! I might try the fridge for this or is that too "in their face"?