Friday, January 25, 2013

We Are Geodes


This is my friend Nadine.

I mostly knew her from the fabulous monthly tea parties held at my dear friend Jan's home.  Nadine did not ever say much about her life.  She mostly tended to keep to herself, a quiet observer who brought a smile to the table.  I knew that she had fought cancer and that she had discovered ways to heal and protect herself from further damage by eating right and using different oils and vitamins.  I remember one time when I mentioned that I was suffering from restless legs in a pregnancy and she offered some advice on vitamins and oils that would help.

I did not know Nadine well, but I knew that I liked her and felt comfortable around her.

Earlier this week I found out that Nadine had lost a battle with pneumonia and had been reunited with her husband who had died many years before.  Her funeral was yesterday and I left the service with a strange range of emotions.  There was so much about her that I didn't know.  I found much of myself in the words that were read from her journals.  I found much of my life in the things they described in hers.  She loved music and mail and family and antiques and intricate quilts and old buildings.  I could relate to all of this.  I felt a kind of emptiness in knowing that she had lived right around the corner from me for so long and I had never gotten to know her the way I could have.  She was an amazing woman.  You can read more about her life here: Nadine's obituary.

In the foyer of the church there was a table set up, displaying many of the things Nadine loved and created.  Interspersed throughout the display were quotes from her journals.





I could relate to so many of her thoughts.  They mentioned a few times during the service that she wrote of being frustrated with her lack of ability to understand and express her feelings.  She was compared to a geode, with so many beautiful qualities, talents and traits that were hidden beneath what everyone saw on the surface.

I wish I had taken the time to get to know her more personally.  However, I am hoping that I will do something with the valuable lesson I learned from my friend Nadine.  I need to make the time to get to know those who are still here.

Everyone has a story to tell and I want to hear as many as I can, to listen and discover the hidden gems beneath each outer shell.

3 comments:

A Lark said...

Thanks for sharing. The quotes from her journal were beautiful - It makes me think I ought to keep a journal.

Petersons Blog Spot said...

I think I need to slow down to get to know others better.

Rachel said...

You already do Gerb! You already do these things so well....