Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Play With Your Food


Some days my kids are sick of sandwiches and quesadillas.  On those days I make them play with their food.  It's a simple concept, and one that I love.  I cut up a variety of fruits and veggies and put them in bowls.  I throw in a bowl of fish crackers, some almonds, maybe some cheese and a bowl of ranch.  Then they go crazy and create something on their plate.


It can be anything they want.  The only rule is that any food that goes on their plate must be eaten.  It's a great way to get them excited about eating their fruits and veggies.

This day we had a few variations of Pacman.



(Pacman under water, in case you were wondering.)

Sometimes I'm not sure what they've made but they get really excited about it, eat what's on the plate, then start again.

Some kind of Pokemon, I think. They sang a song about it.


 ("It's obviously a crying man, Mom.")

We had a Star Wars theme going on for a little while (of course we did).

(Something about invasion of the Death Star and a Tie Fighter)

 (Tie Fighter)
It's fun to see some of the things they come up with.

(Little Mermaid)
 (A fruit tree)

 Then they start getting really creative...

 
 (That's exactly what you think it is.  ElemenoB refused to be in the picture, but this creation is all her doing.)

("A man falling off of a cliff onto sharp rocks")

(A rather violent scene created by my sweet, non-violent Thumbelina)

Before we know it the bowls are empty, their bellies are full, and lunch is deemed a success.

6 comments:

Angela said...

what fun i like fun foods the mermaid was really creative but i liked the tree too

Mindy said...

I love this idea! So much fun! Thanks for sharing.
(And now, I think I need to go play with my food...)

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Awesome! We like to have a "buffet" for lunch sometimes too.

Anaise said...

Amazing!!!! We have "snacky" lunches like these, but we've never created art like this. I think we'll try it . . . sometime after Thanksgiving!

Petersons Blog Spot said...

I love, love, love this!

Birth said...

Awesome idea!