Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Missionary Boy (Okay, Missionary Man)

Young men in our church are encouraged to serve a 2-year, full-time, mission when they reach the age of 19. They pay their own way and put off school, work and dating for these two years so they can focus on their missionary service. Doctors and dentists are visited to make sure they are in good health, paperwork is completed, interviews are conducted, and finally everything is submitted to the leadership of the church where they prayerfully decide where in the world to send each young man. Calls are usually made on a Friday and mailed out the next Monday - making Wednesday The Big Day that prospective missionaries everywhere watch for the Big White Envelope to arrive in their mailboxes.

Well, despite the fact that I can very clearly remember my oldest boy as this little person:

he is turning 19 in June.

His envelope came yesterday.


Family and close friends gathered in our home as Coolister opened his envelope and read to us where he would be spending two years of his life...

video

Fort Worth, Texas - and teaching in the Spanish language!

There are just no words. My heart is full to bursting.

17 comments:

gleneblack@hotmail.com said...

Awesome video, Gerb. Made me tear up. I remember visiting you guys in your tiny apartment in Provo way back in the early 90's when Allen was a toddler with curly hair (I'll have to get you the pic). Congrats to you, Allen and of course, not-so-little Al as well!

Rachel said...

Neat Gerb! Brought me to tears....

Connie said...

Gave me goosebumps! Wonderful!!! How exciting! My daughter went to Houston Texas, speaking Spanish. She LOVED it!
He's such a handsome young man! Good luck getting him ready in every way possible!

Yvonne said...

I saw the title of your post on Connie's blog and just had to stop by. Congrats and enjoy. I have a son serving in Pocatello who will be home in a little less than 3 months--the time has flown by. He has had a wonderful mission.

Rebecca said...

I loved seeing that moment, and I will love following his journey (through you!) over the next two years.

Gina said...

Why do I cry every time? So great. That will be a great mission. His smile alone will convert. So happy for him and your family. Life is good. Thank you for sharing.

Linn said...

I'm a part of the crying club. The look on his face when he read the place made me totally tear up. And now I'm doing it again just typing this. Congrats to all of you and especially that fine young man of yours!

Petersons Blog Spot said...

Now my hope of him coming to Canada is gone! No matter -I am very excited for him. Thanks for sharing that wonderful moment with all of us!

Annette said...

YEA!!! :) I LOVE Texas! Wonderful people! This is AWESOME! And Spanish speaking too! Que bueno!:)
I wish I could watch the video, but I haven't figured out how to unblock.

Annette said...

I just figured it out. My heart is full. ;)

Jenny said...

I can't imagine a better way to lead out than with this missionary man. Elder Black will be talked about in Texas for decades to come!

Anaise said...

Congratulations!

Richard & Natalie said...

Tears! But the happy excited kind. He is going to be awesome!

Gerb said...

Thanks everyone! I get all teary every time I watch it. We are so excited for this new adventure!

Natasha and Jesse said...

How exciting! Missions are the best.

Teachinfourth said...

Moments like that are what make life...

It reminded me of my own envelope, only there wasn't hardly a soul but me to read it.

Chelle! said...

He is going to make an amazing missionary. You have raised a young man that will continue to bless many lives.