Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Baked French Toast

Who doesn't love French Toast? It is one of the breakfast favorites in my family, but with the chaos of getting everyone ready on weekday mornings, it rarely happens.

Until now.

This is a super simple and delicious recipe. The trick is in getting it ready the night before - in the morning you just pop it into the oven, let it bake for 30 minutes while you go about your chaos, then cut it into squares and serve it up.

You're welcome.

Baked French Toast

1 loaf of thick-sliced bread
1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/2" chunks (I slice it then quarter each slice)
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Spray your baking dish with cooking spray then lay the bread out in the pan (I do two rows of overlapped slices). Spread the chunks of butter evenly on top of the bread. Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla then pour the mixture over the top of the bread. Cover and chill overnight.

The next morning, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, uncovered. You can serve this however you like, but it's best with freshly whipped cream, your favorite fruit and a side of bacon. Maple syrup, although boring, is always good too.



By the way, if you're feeding a large group you might want to double the recipe. (We do.)

8 comments:

Rachel said...

The Native's thank you. So does their mother. :) If it requires any more effort than pouring cereal from a box into a bowl.... it pretty much doesn't happen for breakfast around here. I'm still clearing cobwebs from my brain in the mornings.

La Yen said...

You are my density.

Tricia said...

I don't remember how but somewhere somehow I stumbled across your blog. I just tried your Italian chicken out Sunday...BIG HIT! I am going to try this one out on my early morning seminary class...PERFECT! THANKS for sharing your great ideas!
tricia

Petersons Blog Spot said...

You said it La Yen. I tried the Mexican Chicken and my 8 year old, who is picky, finally tried it and exclaimed, "It actually is good!". Looking forward to trying this new recipe. Jerri

Gerb said...

Rach- Have you tried it yet? It's a definite keeper!

La Yen- You are welcome.

Tricia- Oh, early morning seminary! I honestly miss those days. I hope they love it. Thanks for commenting!

Jerri- I can't wait to try the recipe you shared with me! It sounds great.

Teachinfourth said...

Sounds great, Gerb...save me a slice next time.

Chelle! said...

This looks heavenly!!! I must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Gerb said...

T5th- Will do!

Chelle- If you do try it, tell me how it turns out for you. We love it!