Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Waxing Nostalgic

Last week was Red Ribbon Week at the elementary school. Each day is some sort of fun, crazy dress-up day and the kids had fun putting together some great outfits and hair. Friday, they were stumped. It was "Wear your favorite team jersey" day - but no one had any jerseys.

I told them that it would be fine to just wear a team t-shirt, but they insisted that they must be jerseys. So I pulled these old relics out of my storage chest and told them it was the best I could do.

"Where did these come from?" they asked. "What team is WEST?"

I told them that these were my old jerseys that I wore when I ran on the cross country team back in high school and showed them my last name spelled out in fuzzy iron-ons across the upper backs of each one. I told them how I could never throw them out over the years because the cross country team was like my family and these old jerseys reminded me of many happy times. "No one will probably have ever heard of West High before, but you can tell them it's from your mom's old school in California. Will these work?"

"YES!" they shouted. "You're going to let us wear them? These are SO special!!" They were ecstatic as they decided who got to wear which one. I was ecstatic. I don't really know how to describe the happy feeling I had inside when I saw my girls wearing my old jerseys and understanding how meaningful they were to me - but I was especially thrilled by how excited they were about it.

This picture is definitely one of my current favorites.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

YES! Sorry, I got caught up in the excitement of the moment. ;)

Your girls being sensitive to the meaning of your jerseys says a lot actually. You've a great family Gerb!