Monday, September 19, 2011

The Running Dream

photo here

A friend of Coolister's gave a glowing recommendation for the book The Running Dream on her Facebook page not too long ago. (Hi Alexis!) Well, because I am always looking for great book recommendations and because running used to be something I loved I decided to give it a go.

It was such an inspiring book! Especially as I am training for TriathaMom. It was fiction that read so believably that I often forgot it was not a true story. I loved it. One of my favorite parts was at the end when the main character, Jessica, realizes that the race she is running finishes in the same place it started and the symbolism there - that the end of this race is really just the start of what she can accomplish from now on.

When I used to hear about sprint triathlons I thought they sounded fun - except for the biking and swimming portions. I knew that I might be able to do the bike part, definitely couldn't do the swim portion, but the run would be a piece of cake. Well, that has flip-flopped. My broken leg, although now healed, has presented some challenges for me. After swimming lessons I am feeling confident in the 300-meter swim. With some practice behind me I am also feeling mostly okay about the 12-mile bike portion. However, despite my training, the 3 mile run is now what makes me the most nervous.

But what I have learned through all of this is that I can overcome obstacles. No matter what is thrown at me in my life, I can get through it. And I will get through it. No matter what happens or how long it takes me, I will finish my race this Saturday.

The finish line will be my starting line. This is just the beginning of what I plan to accomplish.

6 comments:

Gina said...

Girl! You make me cry reading about swimming and stuff. What is that? I might as well start logging onto randomthoughts with tissues in hand. Love you! You will succeed!

Rachel said...

I'm so proud of you Gerb! You are awesome and you CAN and WILL do awesome this weekend! Wish I was with you. I'll be with you in thought and cheering you on in my heart.

Linn said...

I just placed a hold on that book at our library and can't wait to read it--thanks!

And good luck on your race, I am so incredibly impressed! You will be amazing.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry that I won't be there with you! I so wanted to be. Nothing has worked out that way, though. My thoughts are with you and will continue to be with you on Saturday. I'm so proud of your accomplishment! Training as much as you have is the biggest accomplishment; the actual race just proves that you've done the work. Congratulations! I can't wait to read about your experience! I love you, Gerb!!!

Connie said...

I can't wait to hear how you do this Saturday. I'm sure you'll do great! Looks like a good book. I'm going on my library website right now to see if they have it. (Yeah, I'm cheap)

Richard & Natalie said...

I cannot wait to hear all about it!Wish I was doing it with you or at least, cheering you on from the sidelines, so please hear my voice in your head chanting "GO GERB!"