Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's Still Funny

picture from here

I have mentioned before that I always include a joke or quote with my kids' school lunches. Yesterday's joke was:

Why did Humpty Dumpty have a great fall?
To make up for his lousy summer.


When I picked the kids up from school yesterday, we had the following conversation about the joke:

Princess: Mom! That joke you gave me today was SO funny! It made me laugh and laugh! I could NOT stop laughing right there in the lunchroom! Oh, my gosh. I was laughing SO hard. But...what does it even mean?

Me: Wait. You mean you laughed your head off and you didn't even understand the joke?

Princess: Right.

Cowgirl: Oh, my gosh, Princess. I can't believe you didn't get it. It is SO funny! It means that Humpty Dumpty jumped off the wall because his summer was so lousy.

Me: What? No. When it says he had a great 'fall' and a lousy 'summer', they are talking about the seasons. It could have said 'Why did Humpty Dumpty have a great autumn' or 'Why did Humpty Dumpty have a great winter' but then it wouldn't have fit with what is said in the nursery rhyme.

Princess and Cowgirl: WHAT?

Me: The word 'fall' in this joke has two different meanings. One is the season after summer. The other is when gravity makes you drop to the ground. So the joke here is that he didn't actually have a great fall to the ground, he had a great fall, as in autumn, to make up for his lousy summer. Now do you get it?

Princess: OH! Yeah, now I get it. That is pretty funny. I guess that's why it made me laugh so hard.

Hubba: That joke is dumb.

9 comments:

Sybrina said...

Your kids are so lucky to get jokes in their lunches!

Richard & Natalie said...

LOL. I never knew Humpty was suicidal... Gosh, Gerb, what kind of "jokes" are you putting in your kid's lunches? ;)
I love that she found it funny even when she didn't get it. Kids are great.

Rebecca said...

I found both the joke and the conversation hilarious!

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, when I was a kid I wish I'd have gotten lunch...

cari said...

Your kids make me smile! (I was laughing when you got to Hubba's comment! I could just see his face when he said that!)

Angela said...

your such a neat mom so creative and fun

Emily said...

a. where do you get your jokes?
b. do you print them off or write them out 6,7,8 times?
c. why are you such a cool mom and I barely hold it together with the 2 kids that I have?

you rock!

~emily (gina's sister)

Lena the Teacher said...

Yes, how do you not repeat... or do you? Is it a website you can refer us to?

Rachel said...

Story of my life!!! Seriously! I think my Dad tells me jokes just to see me laugh and then look at him puzzled and tell him, "I don't get it........"