Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Real Me

I don't have a lot of pictures of myself. This, of course, is because I am usually the one taking the pictures.

When we were in Texas the first week of June we headed to the beach for a day. I was snapping pictures of everyone and my sister-in-law Stephenie said, "Let me get a picture of you. You look really good."

I smiled and let her take a picture with the thought that I could always delete it later. Why? Because I was almost positive that I didn't look anything close to really good. I had spent half of the day out in the ocean. I was tired and my hair was damp and salty. I had no make-up on and I was wearing a swimsuit. None of that sounded really good to me. But then I saw the picture and was surprised that I liked it. I mean, I really liked it.

I think this picture captures the essence of me at heart. In real life, whenever I'm all made up with my hair curled in place - like I am when we have our family photos taken - that's not the me I'm most familiar with. I like the person I see in this picture because I'm tired and happy from a well-spent day with family. I'm vulnerable (meaning: in a swimsuit for the first time in years) because I'm with people I trust and love. I'm reminded of the girl who practically grew up on the beaches in southern California and reveled in the warm sand between her toes and the sounds of the ocean.

An added bonus of this picture is my handsome Baby X on my lap, exposing all of his chubby goodness. I am totally in my element. To me, this picture exudes my blissful life.

You're right, Steph. This picture is really good. Thanks for taking it.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

I totally agree. That picture captures the way I see you, and you do look really good!

Anaise said...

I think you're lovely.

Sister Pottymouth said...

You look awesome. As usual.

Linn said...

Absolutely lovely! So glad you let her take it.

Broughton said...

This is such a great picture of you!! Oh and I adore the chubby baby on your lap!

Matt, Erin, Kaden, Sophia, & Jack said...

Love your post because I think most of us can relate. And by the way, the real you is gorgeous:)

Brown Thumb Mama said...

That is an awesome picture. I am usually on the business side of the camera too! Glad you shared this with us.

Sarah said...

I LOVE this photo and LOVE this post. You make me smile, Gerb, thanks so much for that!

Richard & Natalie said...

You are completely beautiful- inside and out!

Rachel said...

You're right. I think this photo is perfect. You look gorgeous in it, because you are!

And I want to squeeze those chubby little legs of that baby of yours!!