Monday, March 14, 2011

That's How You Know


Each Sunday that I missed church over the last couple of months I have been presented with a Tootsie Roll from Hubba as soon as he gets home. The awesome family who is in charge of running the church library on Sundays always has a dish full of treats available for those who return their borrowed items - and for those who just want a treat. Hubba has stopped in there faithfully each week to get himself a pack of Smarties and the customary Tootsie Roll for his mom. (Because: chocolate! That's why.)

A few weeks into this new ritual I asked Hubba why he brought home a Tootsie Roll for me every Sunday. "Because I love you!" he replied in a tone that would suggest I was insane for not already knowing the answer.

Since the day of my accident I have had people bringing things over. Plates piled high with cookies and cinnamon rolls, get well cards and packages in the mail, books to read and other things to keep me occupied. We still had friends and family bringing us meals six weeks after my fall. I'm sure if I were to ask why so many people did these things for my family and I the response would have been the same as Hubba's. Because we love you! What an overwhelming feeling it is to really see and know how very loved you are.

I wish I had a Tootsie Roll for every one of you.

You don't have to ask. You know why. Thank you.

7 comments:

Brown Thumb Mama said...

What a serious (and handsome!) young man. I wish I was there to bring you waxy chocolate donuts! Baby demands them every so often and we think of you while I eat them. :o)

Rachel said...

It's a beautiful feeling isn't it..... I know that feeling very well and am always humbled and surprised that others care for me! ME!! Of all people!! Maybe it's not me they care for. Maybe it's The Native's and The SM.

In your case though, I know it's you they love and care for cuz I do too!! Get up and going would ya?? We've a dinner to go to.

Amy L said...

Your ability to spread love in the world is truly admirable, Gerb. Your kids learned clearly have their habits from their awesome mom!

Amy L said...

oops..I meant to say "have clearly learned". Sorry about the Yoda speak:)!

Kate DW of UT/FL said...

Ditto the above words of admiration - I don't have that all-so-natural-gift of being able to laugh at myself like you do, but I'm learning from a master & speak words of gratitude to know you! You keep inspring us all... naturally!

Teachinfourth said...

Shoot, I should have brought cookies...

Shannon said...

I don't know how anybody couldn't shower you with treats of love even when your leg isn't broken!